1

"Mama," A child about the age of six asked, their voice quiet as to not wake the man sleeping on the chair beside them. "What do clouds look like?"

The mother gave her child a gentle smile as they turned to her with a face full of curiosity, though she could still see the sadness hidden behind that curiosity. Her hands were delicate when she picked the kid up. "I don't know," She stated, her eyes fixed onto the planet outside their window. "No one on the Ark does, but I'm sure I can find some pictures."

"Not the same."

She became sad at the sound of their voice, hearing the sense of heartbreak in their voice. She knew immediately what her child was asking for, and it broke her knowing that she would never be able to grant them their wish. "I'm sorry, Y/n." She whispered, pulling them closer into her chest.

Y/n's small hands grasped their mother's sleeping gown, "Will I ever see what they look like?"

Instead of providing an answer, she started sobbing. Her tears dropped down onto Y/n's head, both the feeling of the water and the sound of their mothers sobs causing them to cringe, guilty tears prickling their eyes. "I'm sorry, Mama. I didn't mean to make you cry."

"No sweetie, it's not your fault." She staggered, planting a gentle kiss onto Y/n's head. "Don't apologize."

Y/n became silent and the two cried together in the dimly lit room.

———

Y/n had been startled awake by the sound of their cell door being opened, three guards in their uniforms entering the room. Their faces were stern as the man in front spoke, "Prisoner 069, stand up and face the wall."

Y/n stood up but rolled their eyes at the order. "You're not going to find anything. You already confiscated—"

"Shut up and face the wall." He ordered though it sounded more like a threat.

Y/n listened, turning to face the wall before he forcefully grabbed their wrist, putting some sort of wrist band around it.

They grabbed ahold of Y/n's arms, dragging them out of the room. They had expected the Y/n to fight back but they didn't, instead letting them lead them away. Y/n knew what was happening, it was supposed to happen a few days ago when they turned 18.
It was fun while it lasted, they thought.

That was a lie.

Y/n expected to see the room where there mother was floated. They expected to feel the oxygen being deprived from their longs and having the same last view as everyone else who had been floated.
Yet, the guards went in the opposite direction.

Y/n's eyebrows furrowed. "Are you idiots? You're going the wrong way."

"Shut up."

Despite the fear they felt, Y/n didn't fight back. They thought that death was death, no matter how its done and even do they did fight back, it was inevitable. However, that didn't stop them from choosing to annoy the guards.
If they were to die why not make the wait worth while?

"So tell me, who are you planning on killing me? Is this a test? Maybe you are choosing that floating isn't fun anymore. What, is the hlthi7ght of torturing what you think is criminals, fin to you? Hm? Is that—"

Y/n's words were caught off when the guard harshly hit them in the back of the head.

"Y/n," a woman spoke, catching the wincing teens attention. "Y/n, you're being sent to Earth. A new start."

"What?" They asked but got no reply as they were shoved through a door and strapped down into a seat next to a boy with goggles.

His hair was black and messy. "I'm Jasper," He told Y/n before nodding towards the boy beside him, "And this is Monty."