TWO. 𝖎𝖘 𝖏𝖆𝖈𝖔𝖇 𝖍𝖔𝖒𝖊

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

May 2022

"I'M OFFICIALLY BACK ON CALIFORNIAN SOIL which means I am also officially panicking." Maggie said, projecting her voice onto her phone that sat on the passenger's seat. As she drove down the familiar streets of Los Angeles—in a rental car just for the day to get home—she could feel her heart pounding like there was a sledgehammer in it. The feelings of excitement and nervousness were doing multiple coin tosses to see which emotion would dominate over her.

"Oh my gosh, Maggie, relax. It's a bad grade, not a bad life. You've never made a single bad decision in your life." Brynn Richards replied nonchalantly.

"Yes, I have! You don't know me!" Maggie replied, trying to convince her friend that she has, in fact, made bad decisions in her life before. It had become a recurring topic in their conversations about how Maggie believes she makes bad decisions without even meaning to, while Brynn thinks otherwise.

Brynn was not only Maggie's roommate in their dorm over at Columbia, but she was also her best friend—a title so honorably earned after they made it out of their first year of university alive. They had become a dynamic duo in their classes despite their slightly contrasting personalities.

Maggie used to go with the flow of life and enjoyed college as it was in her freshman year, but as soon as she realized she had a good chance of graduating as valedictorian next school year, she hasn't stopped grinding since. She was lucky to have Brynn to keep her grounded.

"Deciding not to compete in that dance competition when you were fifteen and hadn't memorized the choreography to focus on school was not a bad life decision." The other girl pointed out. Maggie made a couple more turns and was nearing home by the second. She was excited to finally see her family again. But nearing her destination and her growing excitement also meant she was nearing the moment of having to tell her parents about her terrible grade from her horrid professor.

"It could've been. Who knows, maybe I could've been in NYU Tisch by now studying contemporary dance instead of corporate finance with old raggedy Louanne." Maggie continued to complain. She quickly drove over a speed bump, not seeing it coming, causing her whole car to jump—this annoyed her even more.

"You're being irrational. Louanne is wack in the head and gives everyone a bad grade. You just have to tell your parents straight and assure them that you can easily make up for it, which you can. Plus, your family is wonderful. They'll understand for sure." Brynn replied, her voice sounding like it was filled with a mouthful of food. Maggie's face scrunched in confusion.

"You got a higher grade than I did." Maggie pointed out. "Are you eating?"

"By a point something something. I still have to make up for it too." Brynn defended herself, her voice sounding clearer now. "And yes I'm eating. A good salad never killed nobody."