Chapter 1- Miya August 16th 2016

I am sixteen today. I can't help but wonder if this year will bring something of great significance. You know, it's August 16th in the year 2016, and I'm going to be sixteen years of age. It must mean something. Right? Anyway, I must say that I feel a true sense of happiness at the moment. I never have to worry about my special day falling at a time when I must attend school, unlike the majority of my friends. I'm pretty certain that I am the only person in my grade with a birthday that is within the boundaries of summer vacation, although there isn't much of a comparison, for there are only seven of us that will be attending Willow Heights Secondary as grade 11's in the fall. It's all because my best friend Issy dropped out to move to the city for acting, she didn't want to bother with all of that academic stuff. I don't blame her, for I would do the same thing if the opportunity arose. It just sucks because I know that I may never see her again. It sounds dramatic, believe me I know, it's just that my mom is so strict. I mean I have never been to a place outside of our village at all. I have to be home at six every night for dinner, or she will literally freak. Last year, I was grounded for a whole month because I was home two minutes late. You heard that right.

"Miya, breakfast is ready!". When mom calls me for breakfast, it is not a joke. Her cooking quite literally feeds my soul and is honestly sometimes the only reason for my existence. Bacon sizzles on the grill, while the heavenly scent of chocolate chip pancakes wafts into my nostrils. "Smells amazing mom", I say as I take a sit on the only chair in our kitchen that isn't somewhat broken. See, my dad used to mend whatever needed fixing, but since he passed away four years ago, it isn't exactly an option. And due to money being very tight at the moment, my mom simply cannot afford to splash out cash on anything that isn't the basic food shop or just general bills. That being said, my sister and I have been fortunate to never be met with the doom of hunger, one that often goes hand in hand with poverty. Mom always ensures that we eat well. Speaking of my sister, where is she? "Your sister will be home soon. She had to run a little... errand for me," mom answered my thoughts. I smile as I know exactly what she means. Both my mom and my sister are such last-minute people, that they probably forgot to get me a gift. Still, I'll always appreciate the gesture however last minute.

My sister Marlie arrived home about half an hour after I had finished eating, fresh from the village market. Armed with a basket of assorted fruits and other baked goods, she smiles with one arm hidden behind her. "You'll get your surprise later", she smiles," after the community banquet". Oh yeah, if you didn't know, everyone in our village receives a huge feast when turning sixteen, and everyone is invited. I've been looking forward to this since I was a kid, plus I love interacting with everyone that I'm close to. The community here is quite honestly my extended family, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

At five- thirty in the evening, all three of us are just about ready to leave the house. "Only two more years till its my turn", Marlie sighs. I swear, that girl just loves to be the centre of attention for everything, no matter what. I grin. "Only twenty-six months and three days till your moment of glory". I love showing of my math skills, its one of my main talents. Also is the only thing that my sister isn't better than me at. I must admit, I do have an acute streak of competitiveness, although some may say that it is bigger than I make it out to be. Its nothing mean through, just your typical sibling rivalry. Anyway, we're almost at the great hall and I couldn't be more excited. The usual depressing sight of the clinical concrete has been covered with a colourful birthday banner and an array of matching balloons. Pink, orange, red, yellow and blue, all clumped together and able to catch the eye of anyone that passes by. It is abnormally silent as we enter, and I instantly know that this is going to be one of those cringy moments where everyone jumps out and yells "Surprise!" as if it wasn't already obvious. Sure enough that is exactly what happens, and I am met with the ever- present warmth of my community.

Many hours later into the night, everyone is still celebrating. We are all dancing to the live music that is being played by our local band, which includes Marlie. I am having the time of my life while clapping and just dancing around with my friends. When the song comes to an end, I suddenly realise just how tired I truly am. My feet and legs feel as though they could give out at the drop of a hat, and I'm unable to ignore the burning sensation in my throat. I remeber that I also really need to use the bathroom. Yelling over the noise to my friends that I'll be back in a few minutes, I make my way to the back corner of the hall where the washrooms are located. The stalls inside are always kept to the highest of standards- not a spot of dirt. When I enter, the amount of people clustering beside the sinks is more than I would have expected. They seem to be gossiping, which is unusual for the nature of our community. What seems more strange is that everyone begins to give me rather strange looks, all while my thoughts run to a state of confusion. Tracy, the girl that used to babysit for me as a young child, sighs and utters "I'm so sorry", before herself and the rest of the group exist the room. Left to my own conclusions, I race to find an explanation for all of this madness. All that I can think of is that I need to talk to Tracy, and ask her what she means, or why she is sorry. It's probably nothing, I am surely overthinking this.