Chapter 3: Miya September 5th, 2016

I can't believe that summer flew by so fast. It's the first day of school today, and I am unsure how I'll feel without Issy by my side in class; the laughter we shared, our stupid inside jokes, oh how I will miss them. More importantly, I miss her.

I'm dressed in a white baggy t-shirt, with a grey and black flannel thrown on over top, as well as beige pants. My white shoes are dirty and full of holes, and I don't know when I'll be able to replace them. There's no time for breakfast; I'm late because my broken alarm didn't go off. I sigh. Another thing to add to my list of faulty items. I wouldn't be awake right now if it wasn't for Marlie bursting into my room to yell at me to wake up for a good minute. I would still be asleep. I feel as though I've been tired for an eternity.

Oh yes, I forgot. I never had a proper response upon questioning my mom about why there were suspicious whispers going on at my party. She just casually shrugged and put it down to people feeling bad that I was having to spend another of my birthdays without my father. I don't buy it though.

"I'm literally so scared right now," croaks Marlie on our way to school.

Confused while knowing she's extremely dramatic, I respond with "How come, you're going to the exact same school, with the same people".

She then begins to go off about how every new school year provokes her with so much stress, and that time is passing by her and she's getting older, blah blah blah. I don't really care to be honest. Sounds mean I know, but I've got my own things to worry about right now. Such as how I'm going to survive this year without my best friend in tow.

We arrive at the red brick building that all of us go to from the age of five, so obviously not much is new. There's only one class for all of the high schoolers, so only a few newcomers on the freshman end. I know all of them already. It is comforting, however, not having to worry about who to sit with. I can be calm and composed, not having to fear the unexpected. I've been seated in the classroom for a good fifteen minutes, when Alec pulls up a seat next to me. The desks are grouped together in threes, so we still have another person that could join us.

"Hey you alright? I though Mr. Reed would be here already," he whispers.

I smile and nod, letting him know that I was thinking the exact same thing. I haven't seen Alec since the confusing night of my party, so it's a pleasant time to see him this morning. A grade 10 takes the spare seat beside him, and I'm pretty sure the class is full now. All we need is a teacher.

About a minute later, a woman walks in with a briefcase. She's probably about forty and has a no-nonsense type of business look about her. Hair is a light brown, pulled back with a clasp, and she just seems efficient and well placed all at once. This is not Mr. Reed though, so I'm very confused. Anyway, I don't remember much of the minor details, other that her name was Ms. Hans, and she would be our new teacher. It's strange, I don't think that I've ever seen a newcomer to the village. It is extremely rare, if not impossible.

Most of the morning is spent doing introductions for the different courses that will be undertaken this year, as well as Ms. Hans explaining how different work packages and general content will be divvied up amongst the four different grade levels. We don't do any ice breakers, which is strange. Sure, we all know one another, but its just a normal part of how we begin our school year and its fun. I don't think that we're going to have much of that this year.

Finally, it's time for lunch, a refreshing time where I can finally get away from the condensed classroom with the new teacher that is starting to bore me. Marlie comes running up to me, armed with a gaggle of her friends that seem to be making more noise that anyone else in the yard. Effortlessly happy, she asks me how my day is going so far, while one of the girls complements me on my outfit. Before I can thank her, Marlie begins to laugh, while explaining the story of my recent lateness. I start to roll my eyes, but before I can retort back to her teasing nature, we hear several loud screams.

Running over to the newly formed crowed, a man is approaching out of the bushes, tarnished in what appears to be his own blood. I only know this because he has a deep gash on the side of his head, the wound grimacingly open and raw. No one knows who he his; I've never seen him before. Stumbling around, he then comes to an abrupt halt. He is staring. At me.

"Oly, I can't believe that I've found you after all this time. You have to come quick." Bewildered, I am uncertain if this man is truly talking to me, or if he's just crazy and talking to himself. My question is shortly answered, when he begins to stumble towards me.

"Whoa, back up. I don't know who you are. Please don't hurt me," my voice turns hoarse, throat is dry and burning. "I do not know who Oly is, but it isn't me, I promise."

He starts to grab my hands, now pleading in desperation. "Oly, it's dangerous for you here, you need to leave before it happens. As soon as possible." Looking over my head, he notices the gaggle of teachers running towards us. "I have to go. I bid you farewell and hope that you find peace."

He staggers back into the bushes that lead into the forest, where Ms. Hans is now sprinting after him. The remainder of the adults motion for us to come back inside, comforting some of the younger and distressed students. I don't know why they're crying. I'm the one that had this crazy encounter. I'm about to leave the area, but just before I do, I hear a faint voice. Ms. Hans.

"Don't you dare come back here. Actually, let me just end this once and for all." The sound of a knife being plunged into a human chest, then being extracted is so clear, that I almost throw up.

Ms. Hans re appears from the forest, bloody knife in hand. Startled at first to see me, her eyes narrow, holding my gaze for what feels like an eternity. Then she vanishes amidst the deep volume of trees- like magic.