Go Our Separate Ways

Dean woke to your fingers softly combing through his hair.

"Sleep well," he asked. The break in the silence startled you, causing you to jump. Your reaction chasing away any remnants of sleep from Dean's brain. Dean tilted you chin up so he could see your face. You looked troubled. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I found a case last night," you said.

"Okay," Dean trailed off. "Why is that bothering you? Is there something different about this case?"

"I don't want to leave you," you said. You swallowed down the tears that wanted to fall at the thought.

"You don't have to leave me. We can work the case together."

You shook your head. "I can't hunt with Sam, Dean. I can't. And I don't want to separate you and your brother. What are we gonna do?" You whispered the last sentence.

Dean sighed. He rubbed a hand up and down your back. Dean didn't want to leave Sam, but he also hated the idea of you hunting by yourself.

"I can't stop hunting to follow you and Sam around, and the world needs you and Sam."

Dean closed his eyes. "I don't like any of our options."

"I know. I don't either."

"You've already decided, haven't you?" You stayed silent. Dean sighed into your skin. "When are you leaving?"

"I was hoping we could do breakfast before I go."

"Anything for you sweetheart."

The mood while the two of you got breakfast was somber. Your moods dampened by the your looming departure. You and Dean picked at your plates, neither in a particular hurry to finish your meal. 

"We can meet up somewhere after I take care of this case," you said.

Dean's face split into a grin. He'd had an idea and he couldn't believe he hadn't thought of it sooner.

"What if you came to Sam and mine's place?" he offered.

"You have a house? Most hunters just drift from motel to motel."

"Not exactly a house, it's this awesome bunker in Lebanon, Kansas. I'll tell you all about it and give you the tour when you come."

"I'd like that."

With a plan to reunite, your moods were greatly improved, your spirits lifted. So after you got to the motel and packed up your stuff, you weren't so sad about saying goodbye to Dean. But neither you or Dean actually said goodbye, instead you both settled on 'see you later'.