Chapter 1

This was very awkward, having my mother do my hair, and putting it in a simple bun. You see my family felt like strangers to me because I haven't interacted with them for the past 9 years. I know this might sound confusing and trust me it is, but let's go back in time so you can understand a bit better.

9 years ago

I was stressed and waiting for them to call my name. Erudite was doing a test for kids from every faction and they chose the 5 kids with the highest IQ, so they could study on a higher level, with the Erudite.

Suddenly I heard a gentle voice call my name ''Y/n Prior'' I quickly shot my eyes up to where the sound was coming from and noticed a woman dressed in blue with short blond hair, she must be the Erudite leader, Jeanine Matthews.

While almost tripping, I made my way to her and followed her into a room. I must admit my anxiety was starting to show, I kept playing with my hands and tapping my foot as she asked me some questions. When we were done, I felt some sense of relief, Ms. Matthews looked extremely impressed at the end, she looked at me with a big smile and seemed immensely proud. Then she crouched to be my size and told me, "Sweetheart, how would you like to join the program for the 5 kids with the highest IQ from the other factions and have a higher education?"

I did not understand what she said but still eagerly nodded my head. So, she took my hand and started taking me out of the room and took me to my parents. They're stood Beatrice, and Caleb, my older siblings, and my parents. Me and Beatrice were twins but looked nothing alike, she was born one month earlier due to problems in the pregnancy though, which makes her older than me. Jeanine asked my parents to talk privately, so my parents quickly told me and my siblings to go sit calmly together. When they came out my mom took me in her arms and gave me a kiss on the cheeks with an energetic voice, she told me "Looks like we have to pack your suitcases honey"

We went home and my mother told me, that I was the kid with the highest IQ, out of all the factions and that if I would choose Erudite as my faction, I would become their leader. She also started explaining to me how from now on I would live in the Erudite headquarters and that they could come visit me only about twice a year. I said my goodbyes to my family and my dad brought me to the Erudite Headquarters.

After that moment, I lived with the Erudite and grew up with them. My parents never visited me, nor did my siblings. I made myself a group of friends with 3 other kids, the first girl, was named Emily, she had long flowy Black hair, with chestnut-colored eyes that would shine and that would turn gold in the sun. She was an artist who is good at almost everything in the art domain. She is also a thrill seeker like me, and she is one year younger than me. She was my closest friend, my backbone. Then there was Fred, red head and looked like Fred Weasley, such a coincidence. He isn't a prankster though; he is calm and reversed. Lastly there was Jake, blue yes, blond hair, tall the oldest and the prankster. We were like a small family, Fred is like my brother though, since I live with his family.

Not to brag, but we were quite popular, we were the IT group, younger kids would admire us and almost everybody loved us. Despite that, I knew I did not belong there. I live for adrenaline rush, for moments when I don't know what would happen and mystery. Not studying and knowledge thingy.

Right now, I was waiting at the Erudite table before they called out my name for the aptitude test, today will help me figure out my choice. I am nervous and I am dying internally. Then, I heard someone say Y/N, Y/N White. I wanted to stay anonymous, and make sure that no one knew my last name was Prior, so I changed it to White which was Fred's family, which made sense since I lived with them. Anyways, I stood up and followed the lady into a room covered with mirrors, I looked around amazed. When I turned around to look at the lady, I started examining her. She was a Dauntless, she looked somewhat old, had long black hair and she was extremely skinny. She must have seen me staring at her with a blank stare, because she introduced herself seconds later "Hello, I am Tori, and I will be taking care of your test today". Then she signaled me to sit down in a reclined chair, it looked like one of those dentist chairs that I saw in a few books that I read as a child. I slowly sat down, and she handed me a vial. I knew that I had to drink it, so I did not ask any questions and just swallowed it.