FIVE

"𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘢𝘥

"𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘢𝘥."

WITH A VICIOUS STAB OF HIS FORK, NEVER ONCE loosening the white-knuckled grip of his spindly digits, Adrian punctured a piece of pot roast. He chewed methodically. His hazel eyes glowered at anybody and anything that deigned to look at him. He swallowed, stabbed once more, chewed. Not once did he stray his eyes from his plate, despite the fact he had no appetite.

"I can see that your son has grown to be a handsome young man." Narcissa Malfoy praised at his mother, pouring herself a second glass of wine. Beside her, was sitting non other than Stephan Malfoy, and in front of them, were sitting Cassandra and Adrian Black. The pureblooded matriarchs decided to go to the restaurant to celebrate their sons' end of third year.

"What can I say, the Black genetics are incomparable." His mother boasted, feeling giddy at the praise. She intensely side eyed Adrian, before softly clearing her throat. Ugh.

"Thank you Mrs Malfoy." He bit out, sending her his most forced smile. The blond woman only laughed and shrugged off his thanks, continuing to compliment him to his mother, lines along  'what a polite young man' and such.

"I bet these two are inseparable at Hogwarts." His mother chuckled, though there was a question in her tone. Knowing that she wouldn't get a response out of Adrian, she turned toward the Malfoy heir.

Adrian looked up from his plate, knitting his brows at the boy. Here we go again...

"Yeah we are." Surprised at Stephan's words, Adrian dropped his fork. His mother sneered, but before anything could happen, a waiter came and gave him a new one. "We always meet up after class to work on assignments. When I don't understand something he always explains it."

Adrian was too shocked to even move, but from the corner of his eyes, he could see that his mother had a pleasant smile gracing her features. "I'm glad to hear that you and my son are great friends. Aren't you Narcissa?"

"Indeed, i can see an alliance between the most powerful wizarding families bloom right before my eyes." The Malfoy matriarch proudly stated. Adrian glanced up at Stephan, brows furrowed in confusion, only to see that the other boy was blushing a deep shade of red.

The fuck?

"To our sons!" Cassandra Black exclaimed, holding her wine glass up. Narcissa Malfoy did the same, and the two women drank to both a flustered blond, and a very confused brunette.

That summer, Adrian Black got beaten less than usual.

Cedric Diggory was on Platform 9 and ¾ with his mother and father, excited to get back to Hogwarts for his fourth year. His mother was fussing with his hair, repeatedly saying, "Ceddy, it's all messy, did you brush it? Why didn't we get you a haircut this summer?" She kept pressing her hands onto his head in a desperate attempt to make his rarely unruly golden hair lie a little flat.