8.

I looked into everyone who could possibly know about whatever happened. I couldn't let this slide and now I'm sitting in my room with my shades drawn shut. I was practically going insane with every movement I was making. Typing in everything and anything. I would need to catch them before they catch me.

So far my only guesses were the Pogues, though. There were too many people at the party who could have seen, but that would be impossible. We were halfway away from the house down another path. Plus, no cars passed while it was taking place. Unless someone walked, which we probably would've heard them or saw them walking during our drive, no one saw.

Suspect 1: Kiara Carerra.
- used to be close friends with her
- made rumors about me after Sarah and I dumped her
- went insane and accuse the Cameron's of murder

Suspect 2: JJ Maybank
- would do anything to find his best friend
- ^ that includes framing the Cameron's for murder
- likes playing tricks on people and leading them on, hence the note
- best friends with Kiara

Suspect 3: Pope Hayward
- best friends with Kiara and JJ and would agree to anything they do
- would do anything to get his scholarship for college
- would be too nervous to call us out himself

I gathered the evidence, placing it down in front of me. There were at least a page of notes for each of them. Except they weren't there that night. Unless I didn't see them there, but it was a Kook party. Then again, they'd crash anything. Though if they did, everyone would go insane.

Another thought slapped me in the face. A thought I didn't think would hit me so hard. What if Trevor is alive? No. That can't be possible. With the force of the hammer, he would be dead. If he wasn't, he would have brain damage. Plus, the water in his lungs would prevent him from being alive. If he was, everyone would celebrate.

I also didn't understand why Rafe wouldn't get the note. I would, but not Rafe. He was there with me. He beat Trevor half to death. He helped me cover it all up and dispose the body into the ocean. It could be one of his friends scaring me into confessing so Rafe would stay innocent if they ever find the body. Though if they did, our DNA had to be washed off by now. It's been more than 72 hours of Trevor being in the water.

Before I could process anything else, I was in front of the Cameron's household again. I knocked twice, Mr. Cameron opening the door for me this time.

"Atallia! Everything okay?" His voice was full of concern.

"Is Rafe here? I need to ask him something. I think I accidentally took his jacket instead of mine." I lied.

"He's at his friends right now. I could give it to him." He offered.

"No, that's okay. I have to ask him something, too." I didn't wait for him to say anything else.

I didn't know any of his friends. I texted Kelce, but Rafe wasn't with him either. Topper nearly killed me through text, saying Rafe wasn't with him either. The only other person Sarah mentioned before was a guy I never met before. But I knew where he lived because Sarah went into a whole explanation about how crazy his living arrangements were.

My feet were dragging on the dead leaves, crunching up to the short staircase. The run-down home was sitting in front of me, belonging to whoever this Barry guy is. I wasn't sure if he was just broke or if he was a Pogue because Rafe hung out with him a lot apparently.

I approached the home, putting on a brave face. If Rafe wasn't here, I'm not sure what I would do. I wavered if I should be here or not, but this was urgent and I was in desperate need of finding Rafe. From what Sarah said, Barry seemed like a bad guy. Nonetheless, I kept walking, my fingers trembling at my side. The stickiness from the heat suffocating me felt like the blood oozing down my hands. I wiped them on my jean shorts.

I knocked at the beaten down door, shocked that it didn't collapse at my touch. Before I could run, the screen door flung open. Barry stood there, his hair tied in a low ponytail, his white t-shirt stained and wrinkled, his shorts stopped at his knees, and a pair of beat up nikes completed his fit. A scowl presenting itself on his face, staring down at me.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Rafe's girlfriend." He exclaimed, a smile replacing his scowl. "Your girlfriends here, country club!"

Rafe appeared behind him, his eyes half rolled into the back of his head. His facial expression changed straight away, pushing past Barry to get to me. "What are you doing?"

"I need your help, Rafe." I whispered.

I never thought I'd admit it. I was scared, but I wasn't going to admit what I did. We promised to take this to our grave and I wasn't going to give up. I needed his help in stopping whoever was coming for us.

Rafe rubbed his face in his hands. Letting out a breath, he nodded. "Okay. Okay, fine."

I nodded, lucky to have him on my side with this. "Thank you."

He approached Barry again, "we need your help."

Barry's eyes flickered to me, his expression hard to read. "You owe me a shit ton of money already, country club."

Rafe and I both knew he couldn't repay him. The Cameron's were rich, but Mr. Cameron would never, ever allow this. He wasn't going to help Rafe because he didn't trust him to repay him. I trusted Rafe enough to help me, though.

"I have money." I pulled out $200 from my wallet.

Barry turned to me, examining the money in my hand. A confident smile twisted onto his face. "Alrighty, pretty girl. I got you. What do you need?"

"We need a gun." Rafe blurted, knowing the question wasn't aimed for him.

My eyes went wide with shock. "Rafe..."

"I'll show you what I got." Barry waved me forward.

Rafe stayed close to me almost like he didn't trust me being around Barry. He led us into his home, searching for whatever he thought was best. From what it felt like, him and Rafe weren't as close as they once were. The atmosphere was tense, the smell of weed wafting through my nose. Something was wrong. Something was very long and it wasn't the murder I convicted.

He held his arm out, a gun gripped firmly in his hand. He was handing it to me, but Rafe took it instead. Barry narrowed his eyes, a smirk playing at his lips.

"Look at you, being all protective and shit." Barry nudged Rafe, earning an annoyed look from Rafe.

My cheeks burned up, turning as red as they could get. I didn't think Rafe liked me being here the moment he shoved me back outside away from Barry's front step. He didn't trust him either no matter how much drugs this guy sold him.

After that, we were done. I handed Barry the money, an extra $50 to keep our names out of his mouth. He didn't know why we needed the gun, but he still knew he sold it to us.

Rafe stopped me at the car, swinging the gun down to his hip. "I'm sure there's nothing for us to worry about."

"That's what you said yesterday, too." I reminded, slapping the note back into his hand.

"You know I'll keep you safe, Atallia." He promised. I blushed.