chapter two

"I can't believe we start filming Starlight next week." Gina Porter exclaimed, dramatically flopping onto Ricky Bowen's couch.

"Ouch!" This came from her boyfriend, EJ Caswell, whom she'd accidentally whacked in the face in her excitement.

"Sorry," she mouthed, grinning.

"I can't believe it's in Salt Lake." Ricky replied, ignoring his best friends and Elusive Thieves cast-mates.

"I know, right. More like Salt Lame." EJ snorted. "There's gonna be nothing for me to do all day while you guys are filming."

"Boo hoo." Ricky replied sarcastically.

"I'll be holed up in the hotel, bored out of my mind." EJ pouted, and Gina placed a kiss on his lips.

"I know, baby." she patted his shoulder. "But I don't think that's what Ricky's concerned about."

EJ thought for a moment, a look of confusion crossing his face, then—

"Oh, yeah." he smacked his forehead with realization. "You're totally from there. I forgot."

"Yeah, and so's my ex, Nini, and all her friends." Ricky noted. "Which, if you'll remember, I am completely not on good terms with."

"Nini or her friends?" EJ asked.

Gina smacked his arm again, this time on purpose. Her boyfriend, bless his heart, could be a little dense.

"Both, Eej."

"Right."

Gina giggled, and EJ grinned at the sound, pulling her in for another kiss.

Ricky rolled his eyes, almost involuntarily, then mentally kicked himself for doing so. Gina and EJ were his best friends, and he loved the fact that they were finally together, after about two years of mutual pining. He didn't even have a right to be annoyed at their extensive PDA, as he was the one who helped them get together in the first place. But when you're single and constantly surrounded by a happy couple, it grows more and more difficult not to feel like a third wheel a lot of the time.

Which is why, when he heard a knock on the door and knew it was his other two best friends, "Big Red" Rednovich and EJ's cousin, Ashlyn Caswell, he breathed a sigh of relief.

"Aye! What's up guys?" Red asked as Ricky opened the door.

"Not much, just discussing Ricky's inability to stay on good terms with his exes." EJ joked.

"Like you're one to talk, Caswell." Ricky reached for the couch and threw a pillow at his best friend's head.

"Aw, fuck you, man." The raven-haired boy exclaimed.

"We talking about Nini?" Red asked.

Red was definitely the most sympathetic of Ricky's friends. Sure, Gina and Ashlyn tried, but they were never any good at comforting, and EJ, well, was EJ. Though Ricky's closest friend, Ethan James Caswell was definitely not the first person he'd ever go to for advice.

Red was the only of Ricky's friend group who wasn't really in the limelight. EJ and Gina were both actors; Ricky's costars, while Ashlyn was a singer. Red grew up with the Caswells, but was just a normal UCLA student. His normalcy was always a nice break for Ricky, from the realities of his life and of his fame.

Although, none of his friend group were insane levels of celebrity. Their show was popular, sure, and they were recognized by fans fairly often, but paparazzi only took pictures of them if they were at fancy events, with people of a much higher caliber than them. But Ricky liked it that way, and he knew his friends did as well. It was nice to have a somewhat normal life while still being able to do what he loved most.