Entry for @Stormleaf_Arts

Acornstar sighed as she watched her clanmates gather under her, ready for her to lead them into battle without a second thought. She wondered if this battle against the frightful DawnClan was worth it.

"Okay. I want Beesting, Sunfeather, Lightfur, Canarysong, Hawksnarl, Vixenpaw, and Harepel-"

"Wait!"

Acornstar turned to Rosevine, who had interrupted her.

"Yes, Rosevine?" Asked Acornstar. Acornstar was surprised; Rosevine was a rather shy and quiet warrior who had never liked speaking in public, with the attention of so many cats. The dark brown molly took a step towards Acornstar, her piercing green gaze meeting the cats surrounding her.

"P-Please don't send Harepelt to this battle..." Rosevine could feel herself shrink as each word escaped her mouth. "Please..." Rosevine mumbled, not meeting Acornstar's gaze.

Acornstar sighed. DuskClan was running out of time.

"Is there a particular reason for that?" Acornstar mewed, her amber eyes glinting with impatience. 

Rosevine opened her mouth, but soon closed it. Her gaze darted to her paws, which were shaking with nervousness. 

Across camp, Harepelt was staring at Rosevine with shock and gratitude. Rosevine would sacrifice herself for him?

"Well?" Prompted Acornstar. "We're short on time, Rosevine. We have to go." 

Rosevine took a deep breath, her eyes trembling with panic. She closed her eyes, calming herself down.

Rosevine opened her jaws-this time, she didn't close it. 

"I-It's only been a few days since Harepelt recovered from his injuries from the border clash....I don't think it would be reasonable to send him into battle," Rosevine murmured. Her green gaze darted here and there, carefully observing the reaction of her clanmates. No cat dared to say the word, as they all glanced back and forth at Rosevine and Acornstar.

After a short moment of thinking, Acornstar opened her jaws.

"Hm..Yes, Rosevine, I do see sense in your words," mewed Acornstar, gazing at each one cat that was settled around the Dusk Branch. Rosevine's eyes imediately brightened. "Harepelt will not join the battle. But that means one less warrior will go into battle." Acornstar turned her head to Rosevine. "Does that mean you will take Harepelt's spot and fight in the battle?" 

Shocked, Rosevine turned to Harepelt, who shook his head, pleading his best friend not to go into battle.

'What if Rosevine became injured? What if she dies? I can't sacrifice my best friend for me and my mate,' thought Harepelt.

"Yes." Rosevine's clear mew pulled Harepelt out of his chaotic thoughts. 

"Then it is settled. Rosevine will go instead of Harepelt. Cats of DuskClan, it is time to go into battle!" Declared Acornstar, her eyes gleaming as the DuskClan cats cheered. 

Harepelt quickly padded up to Rosevine while every cat were engrossed in their conversations. 

"Are you crazy, Rosevine? H-How?" He mewed, his pained and chaotic eyes meeting Rosevine's calm and undisturbed ones.

"I would do anything for you," she murmured. 

"...Thank you...thank you so much," was all Harepelt could utter. The pale brown tabby nuzzled his friend, knowing that this might be their last conversation. 

"Let's go!" Acornstar's impatient gaze drifted to Rosevine and Harepelt. "We don't have all day."

"Good luck." Harepelt sighed.