[1] Work Of Charm

Setting:
This story takes place in the hidden mountains of Colombia. A magical place two years after Mirabel and her Abuela made amends.

• • •

"... and happily ever after--"

"THE END!"

The children of the Un Corazón Orphanage exclaimed after I had closed the fairytale book in my hands. A single overused candle lit the unadorned room where the underlings slept in.

Children from ages 5 to 7 occupied this room. They were the troublesome group-- the age where they asked a lot of questions about life, family, and love... yet, they still couldn't comprehend. There were other rooms that held different age groups. The youngest ranged from 3 and the oldest-- aside from me, was 12.

"Y/n, do we have to sleep?" Someone had asked innocently from the small handful of kids who laid in their individual beds. I stood up from the wooden antique chair and grabbed the lantern that held the only light that guided me past multiple beds of orphans. I reached the door, one hand holding the candle, the other hand holding the book.

"Of course, silly. You're not an owl, are you?" I asked with a light humor on my tongue and this triggered a small laughter that rippled in the room.

"Aw!" They groaned, shifting in their beds unsettling.

I smiled, "Now, get some rest. Papa wouldn't like it if he saw you all dozing off tomorrow, now will he?" I pouted, referring to the founder of this orphanage. They released another sigh before sending me off with good nights.

I closed the door to their room and strolled down the corridor of the two-story orphanage. The town was quiet tonight, but the night insects chirped in the spring breeze. I made my way to the nursery room where I stayed for the night to keep an eye out for the youngest who tends to cry.

Before I reached the door, something caught my eyes outside the window to my right. I stopped in my path and averted my eyes to the breathing house of the Madrigals. Even in the dark, it shined upon the village.

• • •

"Ello! Y/n! I've got your pastries ready!" The baker across the street from the orphanage had exclaimed when he spotted me through the crowd the next morning. He had a large black mustache that curled at the ends and the children were always amused by it. With a large, thankful smile, I hurried over to the baker's shop.

"Oh, perfect timing!" I sighed, an empty basket hung from my arm as I took up the loaves of bread that were freshly baked. I handed the kind baker his money.

"Ya know, there's a nice deal goin' on today." His mustache danced to his heavy accent when he mentioned this. He recounts the coins I gave him and, with his generous heart, he handed me back two-fourths. "It only applies to a humble young woman like you." He winks, making me smile from ear to ear.

"You're so kind, thank you!" I held up the basket with gratitude and he nods.

"Of course, you've always done good deeds for the orphanage, darlin'." He says and with that I felt someone tug at my arm. I looked down to see Little Marco by my side. My eyes widened,

"Marco, what are you doing out here? You're supposed to be with your brother." I gasped and stepped aside when another customer came to the baker's shop.

"But, Y/n! I wanna see Camilo today, I do! He didn't come yesterday to tell us stories--"

"Please, Marco." I sighed with a gentle plea. I've known the Madrigal's for the longest time. In fact, the Orphanage helped rebuild Casita when it collapsed 2 years ago. Before all that though, Camilo would stop by to tame the children from their wild selves-- he was always such a professional at it, I'd get jealous.

"Go back inside, it's too busy out here in the market." I knelt down to match his height and he threw me a pout.

"No, I'm a big boy, remember? I'm six now, Y/n." He reminded and I nodded,

"Yes, yes but--"

"Plus, I wanna get my brother something!" He grinned and crossed his arms with pride. I stared at him and couldn't help but smile at how much he's grown.

Marco and Carlo are twin brothers, they lost their father-- their only guardian, due to a fishing incident. They were devastated until Camilo showed up. That Madrigal boy had never once let the children down with his humorous stories. He always put a smile on their faces-- on my face.

"Fine." I gave in and stood up, taking Marco's hand in mine. "But you're holding hands with me until we get back home." I eyed the little boy with beautiful olive skin and he agreed with me. We continued our way down the street market of Encanto, gathering the daily groceries for the children.

"Oh, oh! Y/n! I found it!" Marco laughed and picked up a wooden toy in the shape of a bear. I looked at the object that he held, then up at the shop that I've rarely seen around.

"Buy one get one half off!" The shop keeper's raspy voice had sounded from within the shop. I looked up to see an old lady, her back hunched over and the whites of her hair frizzled outwards, untamed. I smiled and tightened my hand around Marco's,

"How much is it for one?" I asked and she shrugged,

"Only 20." She said matter-of-factly. My brows furrowed at her set price.

"20... cents?"

"Dollars, child! Dollars! You think this handmade craft is worth 20 cents?" She scoffed in disbelief and then coughed with a desperate gasping of air. Startled by her attitude I pulled Marco closer to me,

"I-I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I didn't mean to offend you." I apologized quickly.

I don't have that kind of money on me, especially for toys.

I turned my attention to Marco who had been too occupied with the different options of wooden toys that sat in a large bin.

"Marco, we can come back later, alright? We should head back--"

"But this is perfect, please!" Marco whined and I shook my head, tugging at his hand and inching further away from the shop.

"We need to leave. Papa will be concerned--"

"Thief! Thief! Those children are taking my handcrafted items!"

Startled by the sound of the old woman screeching, I looked at Marco's hands and he was still clinging onto the wooden toy. I snatched up the toy and handed it back to the old woman,

"N-no, we weren't! We were just--"

"Oh? Now liars?!" Her wrinkly eyes narrowed down at me. My heart raced with fear as I shook my head, my words fumbling around in my mouth. I could feel the villagers eyes on us now,

"I--"

"Señora, I believe these children did no harm." An older man with a rich voice appeared behind me, patting my shoulder in a familiar gesture. I looked up to see an unfamiliar man in his late twenties. He was quite handsome, his facial hair complimented his manly structure.

The old woman was astonished by this man's presence. Flustered, she clicked her tongue to the roof of her mouth,

"Ah, whatever! Shoo!" She says to me and Marco without putting up a fight. The young man tipped his head to the woman and her eyes darted in a nervous manner.

I pulled Marco closer to me, "Come." I whispered but Marco's eyes widened up at the strange man. I tugged lightly at Marco's hand again,

"No wait, Y/n. I think that's--"

"Now, children, come along." The stranger grins, stepping between Marco and I to wrap his arms around the two of us. "Papa wouldn't be so pleased about this, would he?" He asked and hurried us away from the stingy old woman.

Papa?

When we were a good distance away, I caught on with what Marco was trying to tell me.

"Camilo!" The little boy laughed and hugged the tall stranger who suddenly dissolved into the familiar frizzy, brown haired boy. A twinkling laugh escaped Camilo's lips and he tightened his arms around my shoulder with excitement. I sighed in relief and held my basket full of fresh food tight to my body.

That was a closed call!