Chapter Sixteen

Sorry for the wait! Also sorry for any errors

~~~

"Get that filthy thing away from me!" I say anxiously while flinching my neck forward. Teresa is sitting right behind me, trying to take the tag out of my neck.

"Teddy!" Newt exclaims, pressing his hands onto my shoulders and forcing me to stay still in the wooden chair. "It's barely a knife and it'll be over before you know it."

"What makes you think I'm talking about the knife!?" I practically shout.

"Okay, okay okay," Thomas interjects. "She's just going to take out the tag. Relax."

I groan and wipe my watering eyes. "This is ridiculous. I'd rather just leave it in there than have her touch me."

"Teddy," Teresa says in my ear from behind me. "I'm sorry. I've just got to do it."

I scoff. "That's funny. Remember when you said that six months ago?"

"Teddy! Just corporate for two minutes please!" Gally says, sounding frustrated.

I roll my eyes so far they go back into my head. "Fine." I answer blandly. I lift my shoulder so my hair falls to the back of my neck, covering the spot where the tag is buried.

"Okay, this isn't gonna work," Teresa says. "You're hair... it's too thick."

"Goddamn you people with your complaints," I respond.

She hands me this small, black, circle thing. "Here. Tie your hair up with this."

"What the hell is this thing?" I turn over my shoulder to look at her.

"It's called a hair tie. See?" She points to hair own hair, gathered on the top of her head in a bun. In the Glade, I always used rope or ribbon to tie my hair up.

I stretch the hair tie with my fingers. "How the hell do I use it?" I feel in my chest the frustration.

"Here. Lemme see," Newt offers. He takes the band from me and stands behind my chair.

"Newt— what are you doing?" I ask.

"Just keep your head still," he says. I feel his fingers run through my hair, gathering it in his hands. My eyes automatically close feeling the mesmerizing touch of his fingers in my hair. I feel his warm hands smooth over my hair again and again, making the frustration inside die down.

"I think I figured it out. Did I do it right?" Newt says, bringing me out of my thoughts. I open my eyes and from when his hands disappear.

"Looks good to me," Teresa says.

I sigh. "Thanks," I say to Newt. "Now would you please just get this over with."

Teresa sighs. "Try to relax."

"I am relaxed," I reply blankly.

"Your shoulders are super tense right now," She informs me. "I'm not gonna hurt you."

I scoff. "You're right, silly me. How could I forget you've done enough hurting to last awhile—"

"Okayyy," Brenda interrupts our bickering. "I'm sick of listening to you two. Teresa just take the fucking tag out of her!"

Before I have a chance to reply, I feel the sharp pinch of tweezers on the back of my neck. I wince, biting my lip and shutting my eyes closed tightly.

"Almost..." I hear Teresa mutter from behind me. And moments later, "done."

I exhale a breath, feeling the relief from the pain. It's a matter of seconds before a gauge is shoved into my hands and the pain is back.

"Rest it on there," Newt says. I open my eyes to see him kneeling right beside me. Teresa has stood from her spot behind— thank god.

"Thank you," I murmur to Newt. He nods in return. "You okay?"

He clears his throat. "Yeah, you?"

I nod, before having second thoughts. "Wait. No. I mean yes, I'm okay, I'm just nervous. Scared maybe?"

He takes my hand, still kneeling down. "Why are you scared?"

I shrug. "The city, I guess. The idea scares me." I glance around the room. "And WICKED. I don't know, it's stupid."

Newt shakes his hand. "No. It's not. This place is foreign to us. Not to mention WICKED is right around the corner. Remember last time we were this close? Yeah... I get it."

I didn't utter a word that the most thing I'm scared of is whether he's gonna be okay or not.