Chapter 3: Ella

So I'm in a brand new world now, with no idea how to get back, powers I have no idea how to control, and on a tram to a school for literal superhumans where seven people my age will choose if I live or die. Or get shoved in a closet. Just a normal Tuesday.

I watched the lights of the city go by. Every street corner seemed to be loaded with tall crisp buildings and minimalistic shops. Their neon signs emitted a faint glow now, but I'm sure they would light up the sky at nighttime.

What really surprised me were the loads of people on the street using superpowers in the most mundane of ways. A floral shop worker simply gestured with his hand and made marigolds grow from a crack in the sidewalk. Construction workers levitated large pieces of building material far above their heads and the owner of a taco cart started the fire under his pan with his bare hands.

The other members of what Jax had called their "cohort" were all similarly entranced with the landscape, even though I imagined they saw this view almost every day. Jax was particularly enthralled with the scene out the window, glancing from person to person and marveling up at the tall buildings that graced the skyline.

Now, forgive me when I this, but Jax was hot. His caramel-colored skin contrasted against his electric blue eyes, which had an optimistic twinkle in them like he was having the best day of his life. He ran a hand through his black hair and turned to me.

"I've seen this view for the past four years and it never gets old," He smiled.

"It is beautiful," I commented.

In the distance, there was a large blue building, almost shaped like a rocket, which ended in an elaborate metal swoop. I could only stare in wonder at it as I realized that it was where the tram was headed. After a few stops, the tram finally paused in front of the gorgeous building and waited for everyone to get off.

As soon as the six of us had unloaded, we were met by a boy and a girl whom Jax seemed to recognize.

"Hey!" exclaimed Jax, "So what should we-"

The girl stopped him, "Maybe let's talk somewhere more private?"

Jax's face fell, "Oops, yeah, let's go to the corner of the courtyard."

Together, we all walked through the courtyard. It was a huge outdoor space with a fountain at the center and greenery surrounding it, while students chatted and talked amongst the commons. Finally, we arrived at a little corner out of sight where part of the building curved in.

"Ok," said the boy, checking his surroundings before turning to me, "I'm Quillion."

He reminded me of Superman: tall, dark, serious, and neat. His curly black hair had been neatly smoothed onto his head and a red blazer with what looked like the school emblem rested against his dark skin. His deep brown eyes peered at me through a pair of wire glasses, studying me to see if I would be a good fit in their group.

"I'm Safiya," explained the girl, "You're Ella, I assume?"

"Yes, I am. Please don't shove me in a closet."

"Heavens no! Jax, what did you all say to her?" Safiya laughed.

"So anyway," said De, changing the subject, "What's the verdict?"

Quillion pushed up his glasses, "I think we should just find a way to take her in with us. She does have powers, after all, so she'd be easy to sneak in."

"What are we thinking long term though? She probably has a family back home. If she opened the portal into the book, she might be able to reverse it and leave."

I suddenly understood the implications of what Safiya meant, "Great, so I can go home and you guys will figure out what went wrong with the portal?"

"Not a chance," said Jax, "You got us into this mess and you're going to help get us out of it. Plus you have powers and you might be the only person who can easily access the portal. That's pretty valuable."