𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

━━━━━━━┓ °• ✿ •° ┏━━━━━━━

𝐈𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 of opium, heavy, layered thick as though the finest silks of Liyue had cast their hazy purple veil across this infamous city, or if the purest brew of Mondstadt's sinful dandelion wine had been poured onto the cobbled streets of Inazuma that one would notice first. Yes, perhaps a veil is the best way to describe it. A veil that, once wrapped in, kisses you thoughtless with poison-laced lips, wandering hands ensnaring whatever mortal soul was unfortunate enough to become too curious, too foolish, too damn human to resist the taste of lust.

The Entertainment District of Inazuma, piercing the heart of Inazuma City.

Yoshiwara.

"And you? What brings you, Traveler, to the only mortal home of heaven and hell itself?" A kitsune asks, laughter evident in the curl of her lips as they close once more on the kiseru pipe. A fanged smile and smoke escapes in a cloud, enveloping your figure as she leans in. "Speak, won't you?"

If only you could remember how. It's hard to think at all, your thoughts reduced to a lulled hum, beating along to the rhythm of the koto and shamisen that echo off the teahouse's bamboo walls. The kitsune trails her clawed fingers down your cheek before lifting your face by the chin, guiding you towards her with the dance of her thumb against your bottom lip.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

The next puff of opium envelopes your vision completely, and all you can see is her. Archons, was it even possible for any being on Teyvat to be so perfect?

Her lips, stained a red that glowed in the dim lantern light, finally unlatch from the pipe as she smiles again. That bold crimson color seemed to contradict the innocence of her muted pink hair, cascading onto her bare shoulders, past the sigil that lies against her collarbones and down towards her chest— You force your eyes back up. The kitsune must have already noticed the furious blush even in the evening light. However, as she lets out another laugh, the sound is almost a whisper as her hand rises to stifle it.

But it all draws you back to her eyes. Such a violent purple, as though the element of Electro itself had crowned them its home. Ah, what a violent color indeed.

"Hmm? Is that so," the kitsune asks. "Then, in exchange for the flattery, I'll reward you for a story. One that took place long, long, ago, during the era of the Shogun Rebellion and the rise of the Five Regent Houses."

The next puff of opium is breathed directly into your mouth as the kitsune places her lips against your own, and, with a kiss, the story unfolds.

My dear child, have you heard the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet?

Two clans, both alike in dignity and pride and yet at arms with one another. One battles on behalf of their god, fighting for a piece of eternity was never once reserved for them. The other battles to prolong the destruction of their people, forgetting that death is everyone's final lover and that the decay of both life and hope is inevitable.

In ravaged Inazuma, where we lay our scene, civil blood makes civil hands unclean. There is no victor in war. No heroes, no villains. Only humans who wish to become gods, and gods who act as foolish as humans. And they all die in the end.

From forth the fatal destinies of these two foes, a pair of star-crossed lovers take their life. Whose piteous sacrifices overthrows, and with their death sunders their nations' strife. Two bodies, buried as one, burned at the stake so the Phoenix of a land reborn can rise from their ashes.

It is a tale told in both the eons that have passed and to be told in the centuries to come.

The tale of Romeo and Juliet.

The tale of Orpheus and Eurydice.

The tale of the Red and Blue Oni.

Despite the different names these two lovers may hold in their eternity of existence, their sacrifices and sorrow shall remain until the essence of time itself leaks from the Celestial hourglass.

And yet the question still remains—

Can these lovers ever free themselves from their cycle of love and death?

Could there possibly be- in the endless constellation filled with stars of fate and red strings of destiny- a future in which their love meets not a violent but a peaceful end? A reality where their love is not the source of destruction, but salvation?

Ah, but the time for such questioning has naught but passed, for it is now the hour to pull the curtains off our stage. And if, you with patient ears attend, what you might have missed our toil shall strive to mend. So listen closely child, and listen dear, as we dive into the blood-soaked rebellion in Inazuma, a time of betrayal, lies, and lust.

And so, the stage is set, then let this final warning carry you until our destinies are met:

These violent delights have violent ends,

And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,

Which, as they kiss, consume.

And thus, with a kiss, I die.

━━━━━━━┛ °• ✿ •° ┗━━━━━━━

welcome, traveler, have you come to watch this play alongside me?

warning, will contain mature scenes, gore, heartbreak, and a chalice of your tears.

ready? then let the curtains rise

will feature Ayato, Thoma, Sara, and Itto

alongside the remaining Inazuma cast