chapter 23 "a necklace out of all places?"

now that examinations are over, the four of them decided to just eat out somewhere near before heading back to their dorms

now that examinations are over, the four of them decided to just eat out somewhere near before heading back to their dorms. they went to get lunch at a small restaurant nearby, where they chanced upon several acquaintances from their academic circle.

"waiter! hello, i would like a serving of this please and uhh a glass of iced tea, thank you!", haechan told the waiter. "what about you guys?"

"i'll have chicken and pasta please, hmm and a can of soda will do", jeno spoke as the waiter listed his order. "myeong will have,..."

pointing to the fish filet and mango smoothie on the menu, donghyun immediately knew what myeong was implying and he too, got the meal combo she had ordered.

myeong received rude stares from her fellow classmates because she's always seen hanging out with the dreamies, as what the boys and xinji call themselves, and if she's not mistaken, she senses jealousy (what an empath) with the way they're looking at her direction right now; the eyes could tell very well.

on the brighter side, hina and her friend group stopped bothering her, even the kids from class x wouldn't dare touch her again nor speak foul words at her. all she has to deal with right now are the rude stares, she could manage.

"food for table 22, coming right up!", the waiter came back pushing their food orders on the tray that is held by a rolling cart. 

"machos gracias", haechan thanked the waiter as he places the last tall glass of mango smoothie on their table. 

"hyuck, what were you saying?", jeno said in tiny. 

"ohh, this is a place owned by spanish people, might as well put into use my gains from kindergarten spanish class, though i'm not quite sure if i said my thank yous right hehe, brain's a little foggy.

"silly", jeno tsked at the boy.

the four of them ate in a comfortable silence. the only noise inside the restaurant was coming from table 17 that's occupied by rowdy lower year students, other than that, the clicking of utensils and sounds of eating were mostly heard throughout lunch.

after paying green for their own orders, they left the restaurant full and satisfied. lucky for them, the dorms weren't too far from where they are, just a few steps away and before you know it, you're already there.

donghyun still lives with his parents and so he would have to call and wait for an uber to take him back to their house, his home, but not for long.

"byebye hyun!" let's enjoy our one-week break well!" haechan exclaimed. 

"bye donghyun! we'll get going now."

donghyun waved goodbye at them.

myeong spent the remaining hours of the day sequestered within the confines of her room, indulging in a well-deserved slumber. with the school break finally in full swing, she relished the opportunity to take a respite from her academic pursuits. in a mere week's time, myeong could accomplish an abundance of tasks. maybe she could visit her halmeoni again. speaking of, she suddenly jolts up and came looking for the bag she wore from her last visit to her halmeoni, "what could she have put in my bag that day? i forgot to check", she thought. maybe there's candy inside.

scrambling through the contents of her bag, a small pendant hanging onto a silver chain got myeong's attention. the pendant is heart-shaped and could be opened. myeong unlocked the pendant and there came a picture inside of it, it was a picture of an ultrasound... normal enough...oh and next to it was a piece of bread roll, and then the chapstick she though she had lost, and oh wait what? 

an ultrasound? how did this get here? whose necklace is this? halmeoni's?

she texted her grandmother for answers.

her halmeoni, sunhee, told her discreetly in text to keep it in a safe place because she too doesn't know if this necklace truly was her mother's, myeongsuk's. all she remembers was that myeongsuk left it one rainy day when the couple stayed at her house; she was giving them advice with their marriage that day and insists that they should not get a divorce just yet... she doesn't want theirs to end up like her disaster of a marriage.

it only led to more arguments and it didn't ceasefire. myeongsuk walked out of the house and sungho followed after her. sunhee, saw the necklace drop from myeongsuk's hold as she exits the door.

myeongsuk did not come back and the necklace was sprawled down the cold marble floor.

picking it up, sunhee kept it to her and promised to herself that when the time comes, it is better to give it to myeong. she never opened it and have no clue to what was inside the pendant 'til this day.

halmeoni: an ultrasound????

halmeoni: how? i thought it was just a simple necklace