Jace | Chap. 71

Leaned against the back of my chair, I kept a watchful eye on the girl, my left leg twitching like a kid with hyper activity. It wouldn't stop shaking, no matter it's position —which is seriously starting to annoy me— but I tried to pay it as little attention.

She's been out for two days without any sign of activity or recovery. It was a miracle she even survived such a—

"How is she?" I turned my head over my shoulder, craning my neck like a mad man to see who was at the door— Kira... how did I not recognize her voice? I must be more tired than I thought. Rubbing my hands against against my eyes, I staid silent while the Healer made her way to the girl's bed before doing whatever needed to be done to assess her health. I could hear the worried murmurs of the pack a few rooms away. Zed would constantly link me every five minute to know how the girl was doing, but I've blocked him out a long time ago.

I was already stressing out about one situation, I didn't need his annoying voice invading my thoughts.

Eyes glued onto Kira, my thoughts wondered back in time and revisited the prior events; about an hour after the girl and Cade left for another fruitless hunt, everyone, including my wolf and Kira, heard this ear splitting howl unleash what seemed to be a few yards away. It was enough to send me running towards the noise, the pack following closely. Once we arrived at the scene...

Well, words can't explain what thoughts were going through my mind. It seemed some sort of energy blast has devastated a small portion of the area around the girl, blasting away anyone too close in the process; Cade was recovering from the blow, but his wolf whimpered from what was assessed as a broken shoulder. I also noticed the presence of two foreign wolves —a jet black male and a small female youngster— but I didn't pay much attention to them. I was quick to run up to the girl, guts clenching as her wolf wriggled on the ground, shaken by uncontrollable spasms. My wolf howled with hurt for her.

And to be plain honest, I too was wondering what the fuck had happened to her... the fact she survived such a blow —or whatever happened here— is nothing less than a miracle.

As I reached her side, my first reflex was to keep her head still, holding it to the ground so she wouldn't give herself anymore trauma to the skull. But when my palm came into contact with her skin, she stilled and her eyes... she looked up at me and all I saw was fear and desperation. Her wolf was calling out to me, pleading me. Before I could properly assess what was happening, her head fell limp into my arms and she slowly turned back into her human form. Qt first I worried she died, but my anguish quickly came to rest when I felt her chest rise under my hand as I searched for a pulse. Without hesitation, I took off my shirt and wrapped her inside of it before picking her up, holding her close to my chest.

I whirled towards Kira. "She needs help! Where's the Lebroch Pack House!?

- Calm down, you're just a few minutes away from it." I glared at the large jet black wolf who had now turned into his human form, a slick male with hair as dark as his wolf's form, barring an almost olive colored skin. Relief washed over me, recognizing the LeBroch pack's Beta.

I nodded. "Alexis."

He nodded in return. "Jace. It's been a while, I haven't seen you since you were little—

- If we can skip the formalities..." Cade groaned as he held his injured shoulder with a bloody hand all the while grogly walking towards us. "Our Luna needs help..."

I noticed Alexis shot a strange look towards Cade, but his face changed once the word "Luna" reached his ear. He gazed at the unconscious girl in my arms, eyes wide as marbles. He turned to the smaller wolf.

"Avia, send word to the Alpha; we have guests in need of immediate medical attention." The youngstress nodded before bolting off into the woods.

We reached the Pack house just a few minutes after, like Alexis said, however we were quickly informed Diego wouldn't return until a few more days. Alexis took us in nonetheless, which is ultimately how I've ended up here, waiting for the girl to finally wake up. Strangely, she didn't show any signs of infection or any wounds other than a large gash in her neck from either a stone or stick she fell on, but it healed practical over night. However, she was battling an excruciatingly high fever and didn't show any signs of improvement since.