FIFTY-FOUR

"Thanks again for testifying for me guys. I really appreciate it," I said earnestly as I approached Jean, Connie, and Hanji. The afternoon sun filtered in through the window they stood under, bathing the courtroom in a warm light. I could see the dust hanging in the air as I stopped in front of them.

"Oh, it's no problem, Kat," Hanji assured me as they walked over to give my shoulders a squeeze, "and I'm sure they'll come out with the verdict soon."

We had been waiting for an hour already as the jury deliberated. No one could guess what they were planning to do with me or how they would decide. It was a jury filled with Military Police and government officials, but they didn't seem immediately suspicious or hostile towards me. This was the third day of my trial, and I had to be present for Zeke's and Eren's trials as well. It felt like we had spent two months wrapped up in this political strife, not two weeks.

"You'll be fine," Jean assured me when I looked back at the empty jury benches, "Levi might think you're acting, but I was there with you in the alley that day. You really had no idea."

At the mention of Levi, Connie's eyes went wide, and he elbowed Jean hard. "Don't bring him up," Connie muttered through his teeth, giving me a sideways glance and then turning back to smile apologetically.

I looked over at the audience's benches, catching Levi's eye as I instinctively started twisting the wedding ring around my finger. His face was blank and unreadable, but he held my gaze. I almost wished he had glared at me or grimaced; it would have been better that the utter emptiness in the expression he held now.

He hadn't come to visit me in my holding cell, and we barely spoke a word to each other during the court hearings and trials. Levi was always there though, showing up early and staying late every day. He had sat on the debriefing council when I gave my nearly day long account of what had happened to me those three years and listened intently to every word. He had struggled to look at me when I gave my teary and traumatic accounts of what I experienced during the Mid-East War, and after that Levi started exhibiting flashes of pity on his face when he looked at me.

I missed him. I was hurt that he had such little trust in me, but I couldn't be angry. I still loved him too much to hate him, even if I wanted to.

"He'll come around," Hanji promised quietly, rubbing my arm when I lingered on Levi for a bit too long.

I didn't reply.

I jumped as the door behind the judge's seat opened with a loud creak. Turning back to the front of the room, I watched each juror file back into their seats with Premier Zachary bringing up the rear. We locked eyes, and he looked towards the center podium expectantly.

I walked up to the stand as if I were walking towards my execution. Zackary's stern expression didn't give me any indication of their decision, and I felt my stomach churn uncomfortably.

He cleared his throat. "Alright, if you'll all return to your seats," the Premier instructed to everyone in the room, "I have made my decision and we will now enter into final verdicts."

He looked down at the papers in front of him and I tried to control my outward panic.

"Captain Katchen Roth. I have heard the testimonies from the Survey Corps and took into consideration Zeke and Eren's responses during their separate return interrogations," he explained evenly.

"The jury and I have been presented with two pieces of physical evidence, document A01 and A02," he continued, referencing the letter I gave to Jean and the signed peace treaty, "Document A02 supports the claims made in A01, and we have made note of your alternative solutions to the attack on Liberio. After a blind survey of the Marleyan prisoners of war and a cross-examination by the Hizuru, we have confirmed all seven names and signatures on this list."