Chapter One: Gracie Moves In

Plane rides are horrible. I get so restless. Mommy never lets me sit in her lap, and on top of that I have to pee.
"Mama?" I whisper, pouting.
      "Yes, baby? What's wrong?"
      "I have to potty." I look up at her.
      After going to the bathroom, I spot a girl being hovered over by the flight attendant.
      "Mommy, look at that." I point, stating matter-of-factly.
      "Charlie it's rude to-" she must recognize the girl. "Come on baby, Mommy has to step in on this one."
      She drags me toward the girl's seat. I can hear the flight attendant is giving her trouble.
-------------------------------------------------------------
      "So what are you getting from the deal?" I hear the flight attendant say.
      "I'm getting affection, love, and the best treatment any caregiver could provide." The girl responds quickly.
      "Yeah, sure."
      "Is there a problem here?" Mommy asks sternly.
      The girl shakes her head no.
      "Can you believe this girl thinks she can convince me she's not after David's money?" The flight attendant scoffs.
      "Yes. I can. Because I know David." Mommy says.
      It takes a moment, but I can tell that the girl knows Mama. She sits me down in the empty seat next to the girl as the flight attendant stands over us in a minor state of shock.
      "Are we done here?" Mommy asks impatiently.
      "Yes ma'am." the flight attendant responds, hastily.
      "Hi.." I say softly. "I'm Charlie."
      I fold my hands, looking down.
      "Hi" She responds quietly. "I Grace."
      I smile, feeling less nervous, as she drops her iPad carefully into my lap.
      "I watching Hello Kitty if you wan watch wif me." She offers eagerly.
      "Can I Mommy?!" I beg.
      "Only until we land. Then I expect you both to do something a little more stimulating. After all, I didn't buy you those drawing materials to collect dust."
      Grace and I giggle at the silly idea that the markers and crayons would not be entirely used up within the next week or so.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The rain starts to get really heavy, so Mommy makes us wait at our gate. To pass the time, I pull out my coloring supplies. What I didn't realize was that the markers were starting to bleed through the paper onto the leather chair we were drawing on top of.
"Uh." I squeak, trying not to cry as my stomach drops.
I can feel Gracie standing behind me looking at the mess I made, gasping a little.
"Mm... Mommy?" I tug Mama's shirt.
"Yes, sweetie?" She replies looking up from her book, her glasses sitting on the edge of her nose.
"Uh, Mama, I made a mess." I whisper and point at the chair.
She pushes her glasses up onto the bridge of her nose as she examines the seat.
"Was it an accident?" She asks sternly.
I nod my head vigorously, and Gracie nods along for emphasis.
"We'll just replace it. No worries." Interjects a deep voice.
       Gracie stops dead in her tracks and spins around to meet his gaze.
   "DADDY!" She screams, running into his arms.
    He picks her up, pulling her close against him.
     I pull on his shirt. "Mr. David?"
   "What's wrong, sweetheart?" He replies worriedly.
   "There's a mean lady."
     "A mean lady?" Mr. David asks.
     "It's nothing, Daddy, I promise." Grace says.
     "Mr. David, that lady was really really mean to Grace on the plane." I snitch.
     "Well, then this needs to be handled accordingly."
     Hiking her up onto his hip, he walks over to the flight attendant as she exits the restroom.
   "Excuse me?" Mr. David says, tapping Jennifer on the back.
   "Listen man, I'm try-" Jennifer looks at them in disbelief.
     "Oh! Such a cute little girl, Mr. Alden." She says, trying to save face.
    "I don't know where you come from sweetheart, but you better pack your shit and leave. I can't have you being rude to all of these people here who expect good service and welcome arms. You're done. You'll get your final paycheck in two weeks." He spits.
I stand there, watching in stunned silence as Jennifer hangs her head and shuffles toward the staff zone where she must keep her belongings.
"I won't tolerate any of that. Thank you." he says, rubbing my chin gently in appreciation.