Chapter 02

"Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, I'm just miffed that we have to help the drama kids get their mics fixed every ten minutes because they don't know how to not touch them every few seconds." Virgil rolled his eyes from where he stood, leaned against a cheap table with mics sectioned out across it evenly. It was located just outside the theater where the actors were auditioning.

"The auditions should only take another fifteen at most, Virg." Patton chuckled softly, "Don't get your hoodie in a bunch.

"Whatever." Virgil murmured shyly at the hoodie remark, toying with the strings on it.

"We're on our last two actors-" Patton began before a head-strong blonde pushed his way through various props that cluttered the wings with a soft scoff. He opened his mouth to say something before tightly shutting it as he looked over Virgil and Patton.
Virgil had yet to look at this other person as he was too busy pretending there wasn't something traipsing through the props as if they were tall grass.

"Need any help?" Patton asked softly to the newly arrived gentleman.

"Mic. I need a mic." He rolled his eyes.

"Of course." The other blonde gave a soft nod, turning to the table of head-mics that were put in a very particular order, "What's your number?"

"Any of them." The boy grabbed at the nearest mic, "I-" A hand landed on top of his and Virgil's green eyes met his amber ones with a very quiet rage.

"Mics belong to the theater. You treat them with respect." Virgil glared daggers at this boy who he now got a good look at. He was a subtle half inch taller than Virgil, which would imply he was a senior as well, as no lower grade could manage to be lengthier than Virgil already was. Though he did have the lithe-ness that Virgil had, as his build was a bit stockier, slightly toned, and his shirt didn't seem to be baggy in any areas, unlike Virgil's attire that sagged at his torso and biceps from lack of extreme muscle mass.
Regardless, Virgil looked like the stronger one in this moment as he strictly held his hand out for the microphone.
The other boy carded a hand through his dirty blonde hair and rolled his eyes, "Whatever." He pressed the mic into Virgil's open hand.

"I'll help you put on your mic-" Patton, who had been watching in panicked silence, offered this with a soft smile.

"I can do it myself." The boy scoffed.

"No. You can't." Virgil bit back.

This seemed to further infuriate the boy who narrowed his amber eyes, "Fine. Show me then. But don't touch me."

Virgil rolled his eyes but obliged, taking a properly numbered mic and handing it over to the other before taking one for himself after the other had taken the mic.

"Here." The ginger held up the mic he was using as an example, "Run the thicker cord down the back of your shirt and attach the mic pack to your hip, got it?"

"Of course I do, that's simple." The boy rolled his eyes, sliding the cord down his back before struggling to get it out the other end. After several minutes of twisting and struggling to grab the other side of the cord, he gritted his teeth and seethed softly, "Little help?"

Patton began to step forward but Virgil put a hand up for them to stop, "I can handle our princess."

"My name is Tom, you-" His breath hitched as Virgil's cold hand snaked up his spine to grab the cord, pulling it out the back of his shirt and handing it to him.
"Here, you big baby." He snorted as Tom blinked several times to recuperate.

"Wh-What-" He sputtered.

"Now attach it to your hip." Virgil instructed.

Tom stared down at the mic pack in his hand with a furrow of his brow.

After several moments Virgil groaned, "Oh my God like this." He took the mic pack he'd been using for practice and attached it to one of his belt loops, "Capeesh?"

"Hmph." Tom grunted as he mirrored what Virgil had done.

"Now take the mic cord on your shoulder and bend it around your ear." Patton encouraged softly.

"I've got it." Tom scowled and bent the cord gingerly around his right ear.

"It's supposed to go on the left-" Virgil began before Tom snorted.

"My left is my good side, I'm not sticking mic tape on it." The dirty blonde stated this as if it was obvious.

"How'd you know mic tape-?" Patton started, before Tom yet again interrupted.

"I'm allergic to latex, I'll need the non-latex kind." Tom stated like the relatable theater-kid he was, being allergic to latex and all.

"Yeah, of course you are." Virgil grumbled and picked up the non-latex tape from the table of mics beside he and Patton and took a step towards Tom, "Hold still." He stated.

"I can do it my-"

"No." Virgil stated harshly, taking a piece of tape and pressing it into Tom's right cheek, "It's going to need extra tape since you refuse to put it on the right ear and stage arts is always the one that puts the tape on. Even if actors like yourself choose to be so stubborn as to not cooperate on anything else." Virgil snorted with a bit of sass.

"I'm not stubborn." Tom grumbled but was blushing softly in embarrassment as Virgil reached back to press tape to the nape of his neck.

"That a boy." Virgil teased with a sinister grin.

"You fucking ass!" Tom growled, grabbing Virgil by the front of his shirt.

"Touchy." Virgil breathed out, but looked just to e slightest bit nervous, "Y-You're nothing like the other Tom we've got in class, ever met Thomas S? He's an actually pleasant drama kid-"

"Virgil-" Patton warned in worry, reaching forward as Tom balled up a fist.

"Tom Pendragon!" Ms.Rivera's call rang through the theater.

"You're on-" Virgil sputtered out, though he managed to pull of a smug look as Tom dropped him back onto two feet.

"You're an ass." Tom growled as he stalked off onto stage.

"Likewise." Virgil grumbled to himself as he brushed himself off once Tom left.

Patton immediately began to inspect Virgil by circling him with concerned looks, "I-I'm sorry, you seemed to be handling yourself so I didn't want to interfere- but I would have genuinely ripped him one if he'd punched you-" They stated in a quivering tone.

Virgil placed an affectionate hand on their head as Patton reached up to squeeze Virgil's face, pressing the mic against his cheek, "Don't do that?"

"Jerks like him deserve to be sassed." Virgil held back a proud smirk.

Patton scoffed and playfully hit Virgil on the chest, "You're going to end up accidentally being the jerk one day if ya' keep that up."

Virgil snorted and nodded to Patton for them to head out into the outdoor hallway behind the theater, sliding his hands into the pockets of his jacket as he went, "What're they going to do, arrest me?"