cinnamon pecan swirl

CHAPTER 04

"Okay, boys take care of each other. Don't go out of the house, okay?" Harry's mum reminded the pair one last time as she let Louis and Harry into their house. This was the first time he was there and Louis loved it. The house wasn't as big as his, but it was close. The furniture inside the house was very wood-based and nice. Louis felt nice looking at those colours. It was as if the entire house had been built in a way that would make Harry's eyes stand out.

His green eyes against the muddled brown background of their house was everything Louis loved in the moment.

"Hey, Lou?" Harry asked a few minutes later as he momentarily stopped building his Lego house. Louis hummed in acknowledgement but didn't stop his hands. His tongue peeking out from the side of his mouth and his eyes narrowed just a touch in concentration. His mind was all on Harry and what he was saying, though. It was just that this was a competition for who built the fastest house and he didn't want to stop.

"Lou."

"Harry."

"Look at me."

"Can't. Sorry. Gotta beat you."

"Ugh." He heard a groan from Harry and in the next moment, what had previously been a grand house - which meant it was 5 different multi-coloured blocks stacked on top of one another - were strewn down on the ground.

"Hey!!" Louis glared at Harry, who simply smiled and got up, extending his hand towards Louis and beckoning him to get up. The elder boy did, but didn't accept Harry's helping hand in defiance of what he had just done. It was a masterpiece and he hadn't taken a minute to ruin it all. "I'm not talking to you anymore."

The blue-eyed boy muttered matter-of-factly as he followed Harry, who was still smiling. Soon, they got to the main door and Louis saw Curly putting on his shoes.

"Where are we going? Your mom told us not to get out."

"I won't tell if you won't." The green-eyed boy said with a sly wink and Louis was left gaping as the boy in front of him momentarily disappeared into the kitchen. Mostly because of how surprisingly adorable and nice Harry looked when he winked and his dimples popped, but also because the Harry he knew, the always-top-of-the-class, always-good-and-obedient Harry was suggesting they sneak out of the house even after his mother had specifically mentioned - more than once - not to do that.

"Are you serious?"

"I am. C'mon, it's worth it. I promise."

"Fine. Still not talking to you."

Harry, once again much to Louis' disappointment, didn't react at all to the latter's claim and honestly, it was annoying. How, and why exactly, did he not care about the two of them not talking and maybe, possibly not being friends anymore? Did Louis mean that little to Harry now?

As the two walked down the porch and onto the lawn in coordinated steps, Harry made quick work to hold Louis' hand and brought him a few houses away to a nice, dainty park at the end of the block, all the while holding his hand and making his heart beat just a tad bit faster.

Louis was very new to this, and didn't really understand why it was happening. So as Harry walked the two of them to the back of the park to a very beautiful greenhouse, he made it a point in his mind to ask his mum about it later that night.

"This is my favourite thing about the entire neighbourhood. I try to come here once or twice every week to see how much the plants have grown and to study the different kinds of flowers and their pretty colours."