W H O ♢ I S ♢ H E?

"Hey, Cap. We're gonna kill it tonight,"

It's my first game as captain of the football team. It's our first game of the year. School started a week ago. It's Friday night, and I've never felt more nervous about a game in my life. My shoulders feel tight, my eyebrows are furrowed in endless focus, and I flex my hands to try and shake some of the pressure off of them. This game will set up the future of our team. The second most important game of the year.

"We got this, boys. We prepared for it for a while. Trained our asses off," I look around at my team, a small and encouraging smile on my face, "We'll win. We already know it. But don't let it get to your head too much, we don't need your ego on the field, just your head."

Some of my guys laugh and I smile, "Let's go kick some ass though."

We hoot and holler before we rush out of the locker room. As we run towards the field, I feel the adrenaline run through my veins. The tension in my shoulder washes away when I hear the roar of the crowd. My hands finally have something to hold and I feel right in my element. This is my place.

"Tomas! Get your ass out there or I'll have you run drills for the next week until you're throwing up, and then I'll make you clean it."

Maybe less of a home with a coach around.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.

I make my way into the middle of the field where everyone has gathered for the kickoff when I hear my name being called. I look up and see my parents in their gear. My mom's face was smeared with my football number. My dad with a large sign with my face and jersey on it. I smile and chuckle. Tearing my focus back to the game, I launch into game mode. I'm ready for this.

Alexis Tomas

"I'm thinking of asking my dad if I can go to Japan this summer. Ugh. It's just so pretty. I mean, hello? Who wouldn't want to go?"

    I was listening to Mia Cooper rant to her friend group about her daily struggles. Yes. That was her struggle.

    It's been 5 minutes since Westfield scored the winning goal. Since Aaron carried the team to a win. I'm waiting for him near the locker room. Apparently, she's waiting for someone too. I couldn't be bothered to ask. My best friend Aspen left a few minutes ago with her boyfriend.

    His name is Sebastian Moore. And although I haven't met him, from the way Aspen talks about him, I can't help but wonder who this guy really is. I've seen him. Pictures of him, but he hangs out with people I don't want to be around.

Those people include the new kid that I've seen around.

"Alexis!"

My brother barrels towards me. He elopes me into a hug and I laugh. He grins at me and I smile back, "you did amazing!"

He nods, "I know! I can't believe I made that last pass. Kendall was supposed to be behind me, but he got tackled, so I just ran right over, caught it, and someone managed to make it inside the line," he shakes his head, amazed in himself, "wow. What a first game."

We make it to the car and my eyes catch the new kid. He's smoking a cigarette. His eyes find mine and he takes another drag of his cigarette and the end of his lips curl up into an amused smirk before he looks away.

From the first time I saw him, I was drawn to his look. He was wearing dark jeans and a hoodie. A plain black hoodie. His hair was in a messy array on top of his head. He was looking at me. His eyes were dark. So dark I couldn't make them out until he stared at me.

They were brown. Big brown eyes. Then I noticed his arms. Tattoos. Everywhere. He reached his arms up to unlock his locker and I noticed they reached all the way up to his arm. His bicep had a shape on it. I couldn't make it out. Finally, he turned to me.

A small smile spread across his lips and for the first time, I noticed how much I liked seeing people smile. Maybe not people, just him.

I liked his smile.

    "We got an after party, are you coming?" I hear my brother ask.

    I shake my head. The last thing I need to deal with is myself being hungover. "No, I'm gonna go home and finish my homework for Mr. Wright's class. I have a paper to do for history too. You good to go by yourself?" I look at him.

    He smiles, "I have to be the DD," he shrugs, "but I'll call you if I need anything." I smile and we do our handshake.    

    I make my way out of the car and into the house. As I walk into my room, I toss my shoes in my closet and throw myself onto my bed.

    Yearbook.

    Where is it?

    I search through my bookshelf until I find last years yearbook. I finished my homework yesterday. The history paper doesn't exist. I hate lying to my brother. But if he knew what–or who I was trying to find...he would kill me.

    They aren't here though.

    Instagram.

    I go to the search bar and look up Sebastian Moore. I look through his follower's list until I stumble upon my prize.

    His name.

    Devyn Ryan.

    Bingo.