chapter 9 - a lot can happen in the dark

Pov: Carter

"She usually doesn't sleep in this late, was she alright last night?" Elliot asks me as he prepares us some breakfast, "Yeah no, she seemed fine. Maybe she's just tired?" I state, causing him to raise his eyebrow. 

"Tired? In what way?" He inquires now lifting the spatula and pointing it to my face, "Don't worry, I know the rules. None of us did anything other than talk last night." I sigh. 

"I know you dumbasses love each other, and It's not my place to prevent it. But I just don't want any of you getting hurt." Elliot reasons, he cares and I know that. 

"Don't you have school?" I ask him, a sense of panic washes over him as he dumps the spatula in my hand and runs into his room, frantically yelling out cuss words.

"Fuck, fuck, MS. Naina is going to murder me." He blurts out as he shoves books into his bag and fumbles into the door, I found this quite hilarious. 

School starts earlier for Elliot, and I had a free hour either way so I have a shit ton of time to get to school. But what was taking Eliza so long?

I begin to walk toward her door when she comes out, oh shit. She stumbles across the hallway, either half-asleep or incoherent as hell. 

Her hands scour for support, I rush to her side and grab onto her shoulders to maintain her balance. 

"Wha- Eliza" I tried to keep her up straight but she wouldn't budge, she looked confused as hell. 

I place my palm against her forehead, she was burning up. No wonder, it was because she had a fever. 

"Eliza you don't look too good, holy shit you're burning up," I state and hold her in place using the wall's help. 

"I am not. I think I'm fine, move Carter I need to get to school" She opposes and tries to push my hands off her shoulder in an attempt to move me out of her way. 

I carefully slide her back down in a way that I'm not making her uncomfortable but she's sitting down on the carpeted floor. She whimpers and falls to her side, I know how she gets when she's sick and she's in a pretty bad condition this time. 

 "Ellie you're not going anywhere while you're sick, hold on." I crouch beside her and whisper, I place my hand to cup her neck so she knows I'm right here for her. 

 "Hey, Elliot your sister is being delirious," I shout out to Elliot who runs out of his room, his eyes now directed toward Eliza. 

"Does she have a fever? oh fuck okay look, I'm damn late for a test, please just take care of her. Love you, E bye" And with that vague shriek of terror he heads out the door. 

"Wait wha- and he's gone. Okay, sweetheart let's get you to bed." I tear my gaze away from the front door and onto Eliza, my arms reached out underneath her as I carried her bridal style. 

She leaned her head against my shoulder as I carried her into her room, "No I'm fine, I'm absolutely terrifically fine. There is no more than fine I can be." she murmurs, definitely not making any god damn sense.

"Eliza you aren't making any sense, just take it easy today please, let me help you," I mumble and set her down on her bed, her arms reaching out and gripping my sweatshirt pulling me back down to her. 

"I'm sorry," she breaths out, she has nothing to be sorry about. "Don't be Carina, you're going to be fine," I assure her and pull the duvet over her body. 

"I'll get you some paracetamol," I say and head into the washroom. The cabinet was filled with all types of medicine, but the first one that caught my eye was the paracetamol.