021┆chapter twenty-one

CHASING CARS

CHASING CARS

twenty-one.     leaves

▬▬ PAUL WAS EXCITED to see Cassie's truck when he and the others approached Emily's house. He hadn't seen her in a few days, he had stopped by her house to see if she was awake a few times, she never was and Charlie sent him home. He was the first to phase back and ran towards the house, a smile pulling at his lips as he shoved the glass door to the side and stepped through it.

The house was warm and smelt like pizza, he quickly looked around in hopes of finding the girl he desperately wanted to see. He stopped when he saw her on the couch, Claire curled into her chest as the two slept soundlessly. He smiled at them, Cassie looked completely adorable when she slept and it was even cuter how she clutched the three-year-old to her chest.

The others made their way into the house, laughing and talking about Emily's food because they were starving. Paul was quick to quiet them down before he made his way towards the couch and leaned over the back of it. His elbows against the cushions as he reached out and moved a strand of hair from Cassie's face.

"Hey, Cas." He whispered, not wanting to scare her as the others sat at the table, Sam was the only exception. He made his way up the stairs in search of Emily, it was strange for her not to greet them with heaps of food and he had missed her. "Cassie."

"No." She grumbled, tightening her arms around the girl in her arms and burying her face in the kids dark waves.

He smiled, leaning over a little more. "Come on, Cassie. Time to wake up."

"Cas!" Embry and Jacob shouted from the table and the girl groaned, Paul turned and glared at the two before turning back to girl.

"Cassie, get up." He poked at her shoulder. "Please?" Her eyes fluttered up and she looked up, still groggy and her vision still blurry. "Hey." His smile grew.

"Paul?"

"Hey, Cassie." He shifted on his feet and rested his chin in his hand as he watched the girl release the sleeping kid.