Chapter Nine

Tossing and turning on your bed, you let out a groan of frustration as it has been a quarter past midnight and you couldn't sleep at all. You throw the blankets off, feet on the wooden floor before descending from your bed. Quietly, you make your way towards the window, sliding it open to see the moon is covered by the dark clouds.

Today's a waxing crescent, you note, tracing the shape of the moon in the air— a beginning of something anew. "Is it a sign?" You question the moon who offered you nothing but the cricket's chirp. "But why so sudden?" You question again, two hands on the stool of the window, leaning closer as if to hear the moon's reply. Yet again were you offered silence.

Ayato Kamisato is a charming individual who is the current head of the Kamisato Clan as well as the Yashiro Commission. A man with such positions is someone a woman would want for her husband. Handsome? Check. Money? Check. Ayato is someone to go gaga for... but not in your perspective. You didn't care about money or looks but the personality.

Yes, the first time you saw Ayato again after several years, your heart fluttered for a moment. You could certainly tell he has grown into a fine man but... he didn't make you feel butterflies in your stomach, unlike Kazuha. A smile forms on your lips and your heart speeds up at the thought of him. You swear you could hear the loud drumming of your heart.

As far as you know, you wouldn't have gotten back home if it wasn't for him. Not only is he your savior, but also a poetic charmer. You have always been fascinated with how fast he constructs his poems and the meanings were always so beautiful. Overall, it was never a dull moment with him. You could be you and not (First Name) Kenki who should uphold poise, grace— basically, you should be perfect in all aspects and you became tired of that.

Marrying into the Kamisato family wasn't going to grant you the freedom that you yearned for years. Instead, you'll be a bird locked away in a cage or maybe a puppet on a string, following everything your stepmother has planned out for you.

You let out a sad sigh as a tear streak down your cheeks and onto your nightgown. "I don't want this." You mutter to yourself, head tucked in your arms as you seek comfort in them. With that, you fell asleep.

The next morning, you awoke to a strained back from the way you slept and a slight headache as you left the windows open last night. Groggily, you make your way to do your morning routine and once you're done, you exit your room to eat breakfast. There by the dining table sits your stepmother who has a stern look on her face.

As soon as you sit on your usual seat, your stepmother snaps out of her trance-like state and stares at you. You greet her with a 'good morning' before picking a spoon to drink your soup. As you scoop a spoonful, you take a sip. Eyeing your every movement, your stepmother finally asks, "Who's the boy you've been meeting?"

You suddenly spit out the soup, a line dripping down your chin. "W-What boy? I-I don't have time for boys."

"Silly girl." Your stepmother chuckles, handing you a piece of tissue, "You can't hide from me forever. The walls have ears, my dear."

"I-I..." You panic internally. How could you be caught when you were sure that you were discreet? Even Yokoyama helped you. You could see your stepmother tapping her pointing finger on the table repeatedly, patiently waiting for your answer. Sighing, you give in and tell her the truth.

"H-His name is Kazu."

"Kazu..." She repeats, his name rolling out in a sense of familiarity but she couldn't quite pinpoint where she had heard that name before. "What's his background?"

"I-I don't know..."

"Hmm, what about appearance? I suppose you could tell me that."

"He has his platinum blonde hair tied into a ponytail centered to the right. He also has a red streak of hair on the right."

After thinking for a few seconds, your stepmother lets out a gasp, surprising you. She calls for a servant, asking her to grab something from her room. The servant returns a few minutes later with a brown envelope. She places the items on the table before returning to her post.

Your stepmother frantically opens the envelope, pulling out several tattered but still intact papers. She flips through them, pushing aside the ones that she was sure it wasn't his profile.

"Aha!" She exclaims, looking around the final paper. She turns it around, facing you so you can have a good look. "Is this him?"

You glance at the profile of the man and indeed it's Kazuha. "Yes, that's him."

Your stepmother huffs in anger and sternly says, "Stay away from that boy as far as possible."

"B-But why?" Your eyebrows furrow, confused as to why she would react that way towards Kazuha.

"Don't ask questions and trust me. This man is dangerous... you shouldn't have come near or interacted with him at all."

Your stepmother stands up from her seat, gathering all the documents with her. She decides at that moment that she'll request help from the Kanjou Commission. Hopefully, they'll understand that the Kenki Clan needs more security with a wanted man wandering freely around Inazuma. She silently thanks Yokoyama for having reported to her, otherwise she wouldn't have known there's a threat endangering her home.