i. a boring class

❝♛❞

and so it begins

and so it begins...

1991

oliver's 5th year

harry's 1st year

❝♛❞

OLIVER WOOD was bored, to say the least. Going into his fifth year, Oliver didn't see reasons to be bored. With the O.W.L.'s that he would be taking, McGonagall's career talks and life after Hogwarts lectures, and the fact that Oliver was chosen to be Gryffindor's Quidditch Captain this year too. So how could Oliver possibly be bored when there were so many new opportunities to take up his time? Three words.

History. Of. Magic.

Possibly the most boring class (most students would agree) of all at Hogwarts and Oliver was stuck listening to Professor Binns when he could be out at the pitch, in the common room, or literally anywhere else.

He sighed as he sketched onto a small piece of parchment, and sneakily glanced at his wrist under his robes where a watch sat, ticking away. Oliver had never been so glad for the muggle contraption in his entire life. Prejudiced Purebloods could glare and scoff all they wanted when someone checked their watch, but it was such a necessity to make it to class on time. Besides, it's not like Adrian Pucey had done a grand job of hiding his fancy leather-banded Rolex.

But Oliver wasn't the type to call out someone for being a hypocrite... unless they were a Slytherin.

Anyway, the watch on his wrist that was slightly covered by his robes told Oliver that he had another ten minutes before his class would be dismissed and he was free for the rest of the day. It was a real pity that History of Magic with Professor Binns was his last class of the day and that his day of classes ended with a real sour note, but right now, Oliver was just happy class was almost over.

Professor Binns decided that since fifth-year students would take their O.W.L's this year, then they needed to start from the beginning and review everything they had already learned, which was so boring and just repetitive. When would the Goblin Rebellion of 1612 ever come up in Oliver's life after Hogwarts?

Thankfully, it was easy to drone out Professor Binn's monotone voice out and Oliver ripped a small piece of parchment off the corner of his notes to doodle some quidditch play ideas to pass the time. Oliver, since he had only been appointed Captain this year, had learned that History of Magic was one of few classes that he could get away with not listening nor paying attention and still get by with a passing mark.

Herbology, Potions, and Care of Magical Creatures were mostly hands-on classes so Oliver didn't have any time or sometimes any reason to pull out a spare bit of parchment. Arithmancy was already hard enough while paying attention and Professor McGonagall was always tougher on her Quidditch players in Transfiguration to make sure they would be able to pass the class and play quidditch. The other classes were really touch and go, but History of Magic was perfect.

Not only did Professor Binns never conduct hands-on experience or demonstrations, for well, obvious reasons, he always left notes on the board for the entirety of class and Oliver was a quick copier.

Oliver was just done with this one play on the parchment when he heard his name being called, or rather, his last name.

"Mr. Wood?" The dreary toned voice reached Oliver's ears as he looked up from his desk and glanced up at the ghost.

Oliver forced a cough out of his throat, "Erm, yeah?" He answered cautiously. His mum and dad would kill him if they found out he got detention during the first week of school.

As Binns looked back to the blackboard, Oliver sneakily opened the top of the desk and shoved the small piece of parchment in the desk compartment just in case Binns would see it while everyone's attention was on Oliver.

"Can you please tell us when the International Warlock Convention was held?" Binns questioned.

Oliver didn't have to rack his brain too hard to find the answer (after all, it was only one of the two things they studied in second year and they were still in the beginning of the year review sessions). "1289," Oliver answered swiftly.

Binns sighed and looked bored at Oliver, "5 points to Gryffindor." His empty voice echoed throughout the stone walls of the classroom.

Oliver was now attentively watching his muggle watch, watching the seconds hand count down. Everyone else in the classroom was already half packed up, knowing that it wasn't long until class was done and they were free for the rest of the day.

"Before everyone leaves, your homework tonight is to review the Soap Blizzard of 1378 and write a 6-inch summary. Class dismissed."

With those final two words, most of the students rushed out of the classroom while others actually spent time writing down the assignment. Oliver was one of those few people who took time to write down the assignment, mostly because he knew he would forget to do the homework given the opportunity.

As Oliver left the classroom, he sighed a breath of relief. His day wasn't over yet with various homework assignments that needed to be completed plus the responsibilities of renting out the Quidditch pitch and planning an entire day of Quidditch tryouts.

That breath of relief was short-lived for as Oliver was making his way to the common room to start homework, two students flanked him.

"Oi, Wood! Ya missed us over the summer?" One voice whom Oliver recognized as Fred Weasley spoke to his left.

And on his right was the counterpart to Fred, his twin George, "Nevermind that Freddie! Now, would you say that we have a secured spot on the team this year? Least of all, me. This would be the time to break it to Fred here that I'm the better flyer."

Oliver groaned and shook both younger boys off his shoulders and started walking ahead while he heard their bickering behind him in the corridor, he was already used to their antics.

"If you're the better flyer then I'm the better batter!"

"Don't make me write mum telling her you're a liar, Freddie."

"You can't if I write to her first, race ya Georgie!"

❝♛❞

and that's chapter one! i love this book and particularly this oc of mine, you'll get to meet her next chapter. if you enjoy my writing, check out my profile to see more books, i update in chapter dumps so other books got updated as well!

also, for the sake of the storyline and fumbling on my part, oliver's first year of captaincy is in his 5th year, not 4th like speculated.

if you enjoyed this chapter please consider voting or leaving a comment because they make my day!

❝♛❞