Chapter III - Stand Alone

[The Next Day]

With (Y/n) being forced to stay home, due to her minor injuries, Takemichi insists on visiting, intending to fulfill his promise in telling her everything about the future that he came from. (Y/n)'s grandparents were more than happy to let him in, well aware that he was the same little boy that had rarely stopped by to play with her.

"Here." Takemichi gestures the two strawberry filled cookies, packaged in plastic wrap. "I know it's not enough to make up for what happened yesterday, but.." He smiles awkwardly as he sits on the swivel chair, right across from the bed.. "--At least it's something."

(Y/n) accepts the snack. "Yeah, it's fine." She gazes down at the item, reminiscing on the vague memories of her childhood. Doing so makes her crack a little smile. "Takes me back to our childhood. When we played at that playground often."

Takemichi hums. "You always loved eating those cookies." He smiles too. "Though you didn't make it very obvious."

(Y/n) shrugs. "You can't exactly just make it obvious on the spot." She tears open the plastic wrap and takes one of the cookies out. "Anyways..." She puts aside the past, asking. "--what happened in the future?"

Takemichi hesitates. "A...lot of things, really."

(Y/n) munches on her first bite of the cookie. "Like what?"

Takemichi glances down. "Well, for starters..." His eyes narrow. "Toman was still an evil organization."

(Y/n) nods. "With Kisaki around, that outcome was inevitable." She swallows down on the first bite.

"Yeah." Takemichi reaffirms. "Kisaki was the acting commander. And surprisingly, I was one of the upper echelons. Accompanied by you and Chifuyu." (Y/n) raises an eyebrow, unsure of how to react. "But...shortly after a meeting we had..."

Takemichi stops himself. 'Should I tell her?' He's debating on whether or not he should tell (Y/n) about what had done, followed by the fate of Chifuyu and her own son. 'If I do, she'd be devastated; She probably wouldn't handle it.' His frown deepens. 'Worst of all...she'd probably avoid Chifuyu, and disclose her feelings completely...' He didn't want to ruin her future with Chifuyu. He wanted them to be happy. 'I can't do that.'

'But...if I don't tell her...' Takemichi retorts. 'The future that I came from will be the same.' He purses his lips. 'Mikey-kun will still kill Masaru, and Kisaki will still kill Chifuyu and (Y/n). Nothing will change.'

"You don't have to tell me everything." He snaps out of thought, alarmed by (Y/n)'s sudden assurance. "If there are things too personal for you to say, then I get it. Just don't tell me."

Takemichi's mouth opens slightly. "But..."

(Y/n) continues to eat her cookie. "It's already hard enough to put on a brave face for everyone. I understand that because I've been in the same situation. So the last thing I want to do is to overwhelm you." Takemichi doesn't say anything to this. "Tell me when you're ready."

Takemichi's eyes glistens underneath the light of the bedroom, with tears being so close to forming. 'Once again...' He slumps his head down. '--she's thinking about me.' The guilt within him worsens. 'She puts my needs...my desires...my goals...before her own. Again.' He shuts his eyes tightly. 'Why can't I do the same?!'

"Takemichi?" Genuine concern plasters (Y/n)'s face.

Takemichi jerks his head up, trying his hardest to form a stern look. "No."

(Y/n) is confused. "Huh?"

"I promised to make a better of myself, and I'm gonna do that." Takemichi vows. "That's why, I'll tell you." A faint blush tints (Y/n)'s cheeks. "(Y/n)...in the future that I came from..." He pauses, swallowing in a lump of his saliva before revealing.