Three's a Crowd: Part 2

After a short break, the group took off once again. This time, they headed towards the outskirts of the village, finally getting away from its eerie ambience. And this time, Xingqiu ran up to Lumine and Paimon, walking beside them while Chongun stayed behind, keeping a lookout for any more hilichurls or monsters nearby. When he was sure that they were safe, he lowered his guard down and followed the group silently.

Chongyun watched as Xingqiu chatted with Lumine, while Paimon had disappeared somewhere. He and Lumine looked dazzling against the warm sunlight, laughing at something they were talking about, though Chongyun paid no attention.

They look like a couple, Chongyun thought with a heavy heart as he looked at the two. A very happy one, really.

Romance and couples weren't usually on Chongyun's mind. But ever since he found out he liked Xingqiu, he decided to read some books on it for advice. Though they mostly just involved a boy falling for a girl and vice versa. He never really saw any books on falling in love with the same gender, namely boy and boy or girl and girl couples.

Well, that's how things are supposed to be anyway.

Chongyun unconsciously stopped following the group. That's right, that's how it's supposed to be. Xingqiu is supposed to be with someone like Lumine. Xingqiu is supposed to be with a girl. He couldn't believe he was only realizing this now. He couldn't believe that all this time, he wasn't seeing the bigger picture. Small tears started to form at the corners of his eyes as he tried to stop them from falling down his cheeks. His mind filled with sorrow and his heart thumped loudly at his chest. He felt as if he might puke at himself for being so stupid. Of course, boys were meant for girls. How could he forget this common sense? And even if boys did sometimes fall for the same gender, would Xingqiu really fall for him?

Did I...really have no chance?

~

"So then, we had to rebel against the Raiden Shogun, forcing her to ultimately stop the vision hunt degree and cutting ties with the Fatui," Lumine continued, keeping Xingqiu's creativity at its peak as she relayed her adventures to him.

"Oh, and there was one time, I had almost cooked Paimon on a hot pot because I had mistaken her for a duck!" This made both of them burst out laughing, Xingqiu wiping the tears forming on the sides of his eyes.

"Hey, I heard that ya know!" Paimon had suddenly appeared right in front of the two, pouting as she put her tiny hands on her waist. "You weren't supposed to tell anyone that!" She frowned at Lumine, who just giggled.

"Alright, alright. Sorry, Paimon." She nudged her playfully as Paimon floated around her, before facing Xingqiu. "And you! You better keep your mouth shut about that!"

Xingqiu chuckled. "Of course, my friend. Yet I cannot guarantee anything, of course..." Paimon groaned at Xingqiu's signature smirk, one that both Lumine and Paimon had not seen in a while since setting off to Inazuma.

"Speaking of friends, Paimon, weren't you with Chongyun?" Xingqiu suddenly asked as he turned around to find that his friend was gone. Paimon floated around the area, searching her surroundings as Lumine looked around as well. "I thought he was with both of you!" Paimon replied, confused. Lumine looked at Xingqiu, who just shrugged.

"Had he gone another way? Maybe he got lost..." Lumine asked worriedly as he crossed her arms. Xingqiu knew that was not the case. Chongyun always ventured around Liyue, he should know how to navigate himself around here by now.