Pain is the cost of love

"I could only read through for so long. I still don't get it. Should I be concerned that you might be dating a potential sibling killer? The timeline is fucked up. Advanced plastic surgery to make him look like he is in his mid-20s? Or is Kai-the son of Malachai Parker? I guess it makes sense: Kai isn't in his early 50s. But naming his children after himself and the siblings he had attacked? How do I protect you? I could remove Kai from your life to protect you, but he's got good reflexes, and I need to tread this case with precaution."

The doorbell clinks, and the former band member steps into the store. She wore her usual jeans and a loose white shirt. "Look at you, all pure and naive. You have no clue about the man you adore. I never thought you'd be in such grave danger. This is beyond you and me, but you don't have to worry about that."

"Hey, Joe. Oh my god!" She mumbles under her breath, "What's on your face?" She points at the reddish-brown bruise on his cheek. "Your voice lacks the usual radiance that once excited me? What happened to you, Nora? Did Kai do something?"

"Uh, it was a stupid fight." He presses his lips.

"Kai did that to you?" she looks at him.

"I could use this opportunity to let you sympathise with me and villainize your killer boyfriend." "It was a mess, Nora." He places a book on a shelf, pretending to be scarred for life.

"Oh dear lord! Are you okay?"

"Better than okay." Joe ducks his head to hide the unwanted mark on his face.

"You said you wanted to talk about something."

"It's about Kai, Nora." He throws a few gestures.

"Oh, there is more to it, right?" She raises her brows. An undercurrent of shock swims through her features.

"Yes, can we do this over there?" Joe points to an empty aisle, and Nora follows his trail.

"Ouch! This looks bad, Joe. Did you get it checked?" Nora fizzles and places her fingers over his bruised skin. "Oh, Nora. You care so much for me. If only I could hold your hand; and kiss your fingers; and your hands, but I can't do that-yet." "It's alright. I don't need to get it checked. I'm okay, Nora."

"Hmm, what did you want to talk about, Joe?" "This is where I'm supposed to slowly clue you in about your killer boyfriend, but gentle enough for you to process and not throw hands." Joe exhales.

"Given what had happened yesterday, I don't feel safe. I think we need to limit our interactions, Nora." Joe sucks his cheeks in.

"Joe, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about all of this. I didn't think Kai would do something like that. He will apologise, but please, you don't have to leave me for that."

"Nora, listen. I'm not going to leave you. I'm your fan. I will always admire you. But I can't be your friend, especially with your boyfriend lurking around and threatening me for talking to you. He is insecure; he will definitely kill me if he finds out I'm here talking to you about him, Nora." Joe observes Nora's mouth part so widely, for him to safely assume she didn't expect this reaction from him.

"He can be violent sometimes, but he is not a killer, Joe. I'm sorry that you got hurt because of him."

"This is exactly why we need to separate. Violence has no excuse. Kai is not a killer from your point of view. But the way he acted yesterday, without having second thoughts about what he was doing to me? He is definitely a killer, Nora. I can't risk that."

"How are you so sure that he is one?" Nora locks her eyes with Joe's, folding her arms intact. Curiosity lingers in her waterline as she slowly blows out air from her mouth.