Chapter 1

Have you ever wondered how quickly your life can change? How one move and that's it? Everything in your life changes for the better or the worse. I guess that's just the way of the universe though.

Sometimes in life, a sudden situation, a moment in time, alters your whole life, forever changes the road ahead.

And she knew very well what managed to change her life forever. Who would have thought that one party would change every life plan she ever had? Who would have thought that one kiss with a total stranger would create so much chaos? Who would have thought that an argument would cause her to make a decision like that?

Maybe let's rewind back to where it all started.

...

Gauri looked at herself in the mirror, as she patted her face dry with a towel. She looked at her right eye and sighed. She was going to be asked a lot of questions by her friends if they saw her with the scratch near her right eye. So she did what anyone would have done to hide a mark. She got out some of her makeup and her makeup brushes to apply foundation and concealer on her face. After putting some light makeup on her face, the mark was covered completely.

Gauri: much better.

She went out of the bathroom and picked up her handbag. She checked to see if she had some money in her wallet before leaving. Gauri had no intention to eat breakfast with her family, so she needed some money to buy some food from outside.

Besides, if she had breakfast with her family, then she'd have to see him. The monster. And she didn't want to see him first thing this morning. Not after yesterday evening.

Gauri also didn't want to see her mother, who stood there and didn't say a word. She knew that her mother didn't say anything because of the fear of her stepfather, Nirvan Kumar.

But it still hurt Gauri to see her own mother letting it all happen. Wasn't a mother supposed to protect her children from all evil? Even if evil took form in the one she married?

...

"Come on Ri, you have to come to the club this Friday!"

Her friend Kiya said in excitement.

Gauri: I don't think I can go.

Kiya: because of your mother?

Gauri nodded as they took another step forward in the queue. Kiya had picked up Gauri from her house and the two were now in a queue at their favourite coffee shop, Cloud Ego Cafe.

Kiya: Ri, just because your mum likes to have you home doesn't mean you should stay home all the time.

Gauri wished she could tell Kiya that her mother wanted her to enjoy her life. She wanted to tell Kiya that it was her stepfather who was the one that controlled almost every aspect of her life. He wasn't even her real father, yet he still found the audacity to control her like she is his little puppet. She knew that he did not like her one bit, especially since he constantly raised his hand on her or yelled at her, but why did he have to control her?

Kiya: you should go to the party. It's at your favourite club as well...Club Alibii. Please Ri, come.

Gauri wanted to go because she had little time left with Kiya since after high school was over, Kiya was moving to Australia for further studies and Gauri was going to stay in India, figuring out her next steps because Nirvan Kumar refused to pay for her university fees. Gauri's mother had no money of her own because Nirvan took it from her, so even her own mother could not fund her further education. Gauri would have funded her own further education, but sadly her part-time job at her local grocery store did not pay much.