Chapter Four

I could really kill my sister right about now. She knows that I need to go see Emmie, and yet, she grabs onto Adam and rushes them toward the house, using her superspeed. I watch their retreating figures as they grow smaller and smaller, and anger courses through my body. I know we're really close to the house, but I wanted to see Emmie first. 

Shaking myself out of my angry stupor, I start trudging toward the house, the sun slightly rising above the edge of the world. I didn't realize that we took all night at Facility X, which is even worse because today is Christmas Day. I'm not prepared for my first Christmas with Emmie! What if she doesn't like the gifts I got her? That wouldn't be surprising since it took me forever to figure out what to get her. 

The door to the garage attached to the Lab is slightly ajar, and I slide in, quickly closing it behind me. Mr. Davenport's self-driving car is in there, looking all shiny and clean underneath the bright lights. A bad feeling settles in the pit of my stomach when I see the car innocently sitting there. It's not an innocent car, though, because it's the car Mr. Davenport drove when Tasha and Miss Key were first kidnapped. That was probably the worst day in Emmie and Leo's lives, but I feel like there's another bad thing going on with Emmie.

I quicken my pace, finally making it back to the Lab. Tasha and Miss Key are standing near the cyber-desk, and they both glance up at me as I walk past the capsules. Mr. Davenport and Leo appear out of nowhere, and Mr. Davenport says, "Your siblings have already been through here and ran to Emmie. Where were you?"

"Oh, you know, left behind," I say, quickly entering my capsule. The glass door shuts in front of me, and I realize Miss Key is intently watching me, an awed look on her face. Quickly changing into my regular clothes, I exit the capsule and say, "Where's Emmie?"

"Before you rush off," Mr. Davenport says, holding his hands up, "how'd the mission go? Bree and Adam wouldn't tell me anything about it."

I stop in my tracks, staring at Mr. Davenport. He has a happy look on his face, so I nod and say, "Yes." His smile drops off his face just as quickly as it came, and he deflates slightly. "You have enough money to construct another one, so don't worry about it."

"You destroyed it?"

"We had to, or else the gamma spheres you oh-so-graciously created without my help would have escaped into the air and killed everyone!" 

Miss Key looks between the two of us, her eyes wide. Tasha pats her shoulder gently. "You know, when Emmie turned fifteen, I knew she was going to find boys interesting and cute. What I didn't know was that she'd choose a bionic hero with super intelligence." She clears her throat, and I notice a dark look on her face. "But she tells me you're a good kid, Chase. I'm going to hold you to that, especially because . . ."

Miss Key trails off as Leo makes a startled noise. "Guys, it's Christmas morning! We need to go open our presents!"

"Leo!" Tasha says, turning her murderous gaze on her son. He shrinks back next to Mr. Davenport. "We've spent the better part of the night awake. Wouldn't you rather sleep before you open gifts?"

"No!" Leo says. She crosses her arms over her chest, tilting her head down slightly. "Yes?"

While Tasha is giving Leo a lecture, I pass by Miss Key trying to get to the elevator. Instead, she throws her arms around my shoulders, pulling me into a tight hug. For a second there, I'm not sure what to do, but then I wrap my arms around her small frame, wondering why she's hugging me like this. "Emmie thinks the world of you, Chase, and I do, too. You've brought her out of her shell, but I'm afraid that she's going to crawl right back in. Especially because . . . of what happened."

Miss Key pulls away from the hug, wiping at her eyes with her sleeve. I frown at her, but all she does is shake her head, giving me a push toward the elevator. Taking that as a hint, I sprint toward the elevator and smash my hand against the button. The doors open right up, and I quickly press the button for the main floor. Mr. Davenport's voice floats through the speakers, and I'm not sure if he's trying to sing or if he's dying. Either way, he could really do with getting rid of the background music. It sucks.