Interlude XXIV - Boren, Aspiration

Boren continued to sprint along corridor after corridor, changing direction as many times as he dared before his Stamina ran out, and he had no choice but to rest. Then as soon as he had recovered around ten per cent, he would be off again. Pushing past his limit and running after his Stamina bottomed out did make him lose a little Health each time. It was painful and taxing on his body and mind, but the gains were equally worthwhile. Each time he did, there was a slight chance of gaining a point of Endurance. It was small, but even a single point would be worth the time spent at this stage of his development.

All his stats had increased. Unfortunately, Luck had also "matured" over the days of training at his mother's hand. But for the first time that he could remember, his stats were increasing faster than they were decreasing. Boren thanked Ursa that his life span was not calculated, including luck. But the chance that something would fall on his head and end things was exponentially more likely than for anyone else. A helpless sigh escaped his lips, and he simply continued.

The time for being disheartened with his lot was over, now was the time for growth, and then once he was strong enough, perhaps he could find a solution to his Luck problem.

"I can't believe my stats have improved so much lately. It might be the most spectacular training regiment ever!" Boren had paused in his sprinting as his Health started dropping, but he was so used to the dull ache that he paid it no mind. He found he talked aloud when he was alone more and more to help him order his thoughts. Almost half a year had passed since his ninth birthday, so much had changed. Training with his mother, Haemish coming to the castle to stay, and that little creature that Haemish wanted to introduce him to, among other things. "Oh my, Ursa! I didn't even think of it before. But...what if?"

The young lad bit his lip as he started up sprinting again. This time it was not the aimless wanderings of training, and no, he already had a destination in mind.

The corridors were so numerous they had to be remembered by numbers. As he counted off in his head-corridor 15 Northbound, then 34 West, 22 North and then 15 West again, there it is! He ran full tilt toward the immense golden doors with the family crest, the sacred Ohuru tree. It was said to be the original giver of life, borne of the earth magic, which was his speciality. A smile crept onto his face, which he tried desperately to remove. It is not the place to be smiling. Think sad thoughts.

That was when he tripped on the gap between floor tiles and used his face to knock on the door.

"Oww!" Boren yelled. A loud boom sounded when his face hit the door, and then it slid open before he could regain his balance. He fell straight in and landed face-first on the throne room floor.

"What I mean to say is-"the King's discussion point to the trade delegation cut off abruptly at the sound from the door. Looking up, his old advisor gasped. Borowyn was more controlled than that and looked on as the boy got up and gathered himself. Curious, Borowyn noted the slight improvement of the boy's colour and posture. Despite his rather unceremonious entry, he was looking a lot more poised. A delighted smile crossed his face, and he descended the dais through the crowd of merchants. Once he got through the babbling group, he could resume his usual gait. He reached Boren's location in an instant.

"Well, well. Glad to have you join us, son!" Borowyn boomed, completely ignoring the method of Boren's entry. "Boren, this is the leader of the Merchant delegation that wishes to set up new trading agreements in Darf. Merchant Doroga, please be welcome and meet my youngest son, Boren!" the man beamed the smile of a proud father. Boren knew his father could feel the physical changes in him when he received his side-hug.

Of course, the Merchant hid his dissatisfaction at being side-stepped and extended his hand to Boren, who promptly took and shook it. "Merchant Doroga, it is very nice to meet you! And where do you come from, may I ask?"