Eight

POV-Mitch Patterson

I sat down beside my wife and pulled out the news paper. She was knitting or crochetting or whatever she does with the yarn and needles. We weren't planning on doing much tonight. There really wasn't much to do. We weren't big on T.V programs, Emily refused to listen to any kind of music since the night Luke left, and so we were bored most nights.

Don't getme wrong I didn't mind being bored with her. Talking about the weather, complaining about our days and such. Sitting on the couch with some wine and occasionally some cards. And feel no need to go out. That's kind of what tonight is. Just being bored together.

It was a normal night. Nothing changed. It was only three days after Christmas, and Luke's gifts from last year still sat beneath the tree. Emily refused to get rid of them until he came home. I tried to throw them away, but she wouldn't let me. Told me he'd be home any day. She said that for about three months, telling me not to throw away anything she bought him, which she had been buying him a lot of stuff every month. Then the things she bought grew less and less until she was only buying groceries for the two of us.

As much as she wouldn't admit it, she was giving up on our son. I, personally, have searched everywhere I could think of, but Alex's mom said Alex moved out and she didn't know where, and there was no way in Hell I was going to Reggie's parents. Luke tried many times to get me to adopt the poor boy but I couldn't. And Mr. Peters has it out for me and I don't know why.

Ever since that night Luke left, I haven't given up on the boy, and neither did Emily until recently. She stopped crying herself to sleep, which I'm proud of her for, but when she stopped that, she stopped setting a place for Luke at dinner, she stopped cleaning his room, she stopped looking around the city with me. She seemed to have just stopped caring, but I was wrong.

POV-Emily Patterson

I was knitting, enjoying the peace and quiet. I wouldn't tell Mitch, but I'm knitting another beanie for Luke. I've been doing it in secret for some time now. Each one I make I put in the box I used last year for his Christmas gift that he never got to open. It was a beanie. And now I think I've made one of almost every color. And when I finish with colors, I'll do patterns.

All of a sudden, there was a red and blues lights flashing through the front window. Mitch and I stood up and I looked out the window to see a cop car.

My poor baby! What happened to him?

A million thoughts went through my mind as my husband wrapped his arms around me. Every single bad thing went through my mind and I began crying uncontrolably. I tried to convince myself that they were just returning him home, but I had a feeling in my stomach that something was very wrong.

I heard a loud knock and turned to my husband, who let me go to answer the door. I followed and just before he opened the door, I grabbed his arm for support. The door opened, and there stood two officers, with no Luke in sight.

POV-Luke

When my dad opened the door, I saw that my mom was already in tears. The only thing I wanted to do was give her a huge hug and tell her how sorry I am, but I know a ghost hug isn't the kind of hug she needs right now. Athena asked if they could come in, and advised my parents to sit down, just as they did for Mrs. Harvey, and the Mercers', and the Peters'. Now it's the Pattersons' turn to have their world shatter before their eyes.

My mom started light conversation, so Reggie talked to me, probably as a distrction.

"I thought you didn't finish the song?" he asked.

"I finished it while you were sleeping at Bobby's," I told him. "I didn't write it down, just finished the lyrics in my head. Then, when I checked the paper at Willie's to write it down, it was already there."

"I love you, baby," Reggie said kind of out of the blue.

"I love you too, Princess," I turned to hug him.

He kissed my cheek, then rested his head on my shoulder, and that's when Athena started to talk. I burried my face so far into the crook of his neck, trying to hide from the world. I didn't want to be here. But at the same time, I feel like I have to be here. I was there for my "mom" so I should be here for my mom.

"Mr. and Mrs. Patterson," Athena started and my heart sunk as she spoke. I heard this greeting four too many times tonight. "An incident occured tonight, and I'm afraid your son was involved."

"Just tell me he's okay?" I heard my mom cry

"Ma'am," Carlos continued for Athena, "there were three deaths tonight. One of them was your son."

My mom covered her face with her hand. She cried harder than before, but silently.

"Who were the other two?" my dad asked.

"Alex Mercer and Reginald Peters," Athena answered.

"Oh god," my mom cried.

"Ma'am," Athena caught her attention. "Do happen to know who Emily is?"

"I am," my mom whispered through some tears.

"Then this is for you," Athena handed my mom the paper with Unsaid Emily on it.

My mom didn't read it, she just left the room.

I left Reggie's side to go give my mom a hug, forgetting that I'm dead and that's why she's crying. But Reggie stopped me and pulled me back by my hand and intohis arms. I started crying into his shoulder. This is a lot harder than I thought it'd be.

My dad thanked the officers and chased after my mom, which is all I wanted to do. But Reggie brought me outside with Athena and Carlos.

Reggie never let go of me as we got into the car. He sat behind the driver's seat, and I laid down with my head on his lap. He ran his fingers through my hair as I cried. His touch once again calmed me down. I wanted to sleep, but I couldn't. The car was silent, even after Athena and Carlos got in and started driving. And yet the silence was so loud.

Carlos and Athena pulled into a diner. Reggie and I were still visable to them, so they told us they were going to go eat and that we could join them if we wanted or stay in the car. They got out and Reggie asked what I wanted to do.

"Honestly," I sighed, "I just want to lay here with you. I mean, I want to do something, because I need a distraction, but I also want to lay here with you."

Authors note: sorry this took so long. been really busy. vacation this past week and then beore that just really stressed with school.