A Birthday

You know something was wrong the moment you walked into Sans room. He didn't greet you in the usual way, he didn’t even acknowledge that you were there. He was staring at the wall, waiting. What for? You had a small idea. "Are you waiting for Papyrus?" Sans jolted lightly at your 'sudden' appearance, bristling a little out of instinct. When he saw it was you, he smiled brightly. "yup! it's his birthday today, so i was gonna wish him a happy one... but he wasn't here when i woke up. that's ok though, he'll probably be back soon." Sans sounded like he was reassuring himself rather than telling you. You opened your mouth, then closed it. Now wasn't the time. Not on Papyrus' birthday. "I'm sure he will be back before you know it. In the meantime, what should we do to celebrate this wonderful day? How old is he?" You weren't sure how much longer you could keep up with his fantasy. This wasn't healthy. "he would've- he's 16 today." Sans corrected, trying to get a grip on his skull. You were glad for the straight jacket for once. "Shall we make him a cake then?" Sans seemed come back from his teetering metal state. "cake..?"

💉💉💉

You brought Sans to the kitchen, keeping an extra vigilant watch on him. He seemed more unstable than usual, likely BECAUSE it was Papyrus birthday. She needed to be sure of his safety in here. "Are you ready to make a cake?" You asked as you started gathering ingredients and dishes to make said dessert. "..." You paused immediately, looking to the skeptical looking skeleton. "Sans? What's wrong?" He glanced up, then looked to his paws. "why..? why are you doing this..? you know that he's.. not... here right now.." So close yet so far.. You sighed gently and crouched to Sans height. "Sans. Look at me." You stated as you put down whatever was in your hands at the time. When he didn't, you lifted his chin so he was. "Sans, I care about you. Papyrus is important to you, therefore he's important to me. Get it?" You noticed that his cheeks were turning yellow. "Sans? Do you have a fever?" She reached over to feel his head, to which he jerked away with a quick "i'm fine! let's make that cake!" You still worried though.

💉💉💉

The cake was cooling now and you and Sans were choosing out frosting and decor. "-his favorite color is blue, so we can design with that, orange is his magic color so we can cover the cake with that and green and red flowers, maybe!" You scribbled the idea down as Sans rambled. Apparently after he'd recovered from his embarrassment? Your words had drastically improved his mood. He seemed a lot more stable than earlier, anyway. "Orange cake, blue lettering, red roses at the top with green leaves decorating the side?" You asked, making a small sketch of the idea. Sans blinked. "that... sounds beautiful.." He muttered, looking away to hide his blush. "You think? It just seems right, I came up with it on the spot." You replied, not looking up. "i'll, uh, get the frosting.. paps 'll really appreciate this, ya know. and... i do too." You smiled lightly. "Good, I'm glad you do. I enjoy helping you." Soon, the two of you were decorating the cake. While the cake did, in fact, turn out beautiful, you and Sans were a frosted mess. You may or may not have had a frosting war in the midst of decorating. "Come on, let's clean up and eat!"
"yeah."
"Birthday song?"
"definitely, he'll love it."