Fifteen

*Flashback*

If there was one thing Heather despised more than her family legacy, it was high school dances. Bennington Parque High was still reeling over the arrest of Clay Bristol. Giselle Vexington, one of the best lawyers in Sumerian County managed to get the charges dropped. The damage, sadly had already been done. The colleges that had been interested in Clay, offering him full-ride scholarships had retracted their offers. The coaches took him off the team after several parents complained.

Heather did everything in her power to make Clay feel better. She begged the coaches to reinstate him on the team. She made calls to the school boards from every university. All their answers were the same, they had expectations, they had standards and appearances to maintain. Taking a drug dealer, even an accused one could put them in a bad light. She had truly thought her last name would hold some weight sadly it only carried it in the small town she called home.

Despite the eyes that followed her everywhere she and Shane managed to meet using his family's cabin on the lake. During the day he was seen with Livana, a close friend of the family. Shane even made a big show of asking Liv to the dance earning a series of eye rolls from her friends. Heather's plans the night of the homecoming dance were to make a dent in her to-read list. Instead, she was out dress shopping with her mom, Damien, and Soren.

"You are not going to a funeral Rosie." Damien scolded moving her away from the black dresses.

"Oh yes I am, someone's feet are going to get stepped on." She allowed herself to be dragged down the aisles. Soren was already combing through options, occasionally glancing over.

"Oh, please you'll be fine. Soren and I will take turns being your dancing partner." He smiled ruffling her hair. She huffed smoothing out her curls the best she could. She kept her hair long the weight transformed her curls into waves.

"We can even dance together all three of us." Soren put his arms around their shoulders.

"Oh boy I love being the third wheel." She stuck out her tongue.

"Well then we'll get you a date!" Damien grinned.

"What?! No!" Heather exclaimed.

"If Shane can have a smokescreen relationship you can too." Soren placed his hands on his hips. "Leave it to me, Dame will find you a killer dress."

Heather immediately began to protest; her friends were beginning to approve of Shane. He was genuinely making an effort to get to know everyone. He wasn't completely comfortable around Damien and Soren but he was at least trying. In the end, that's all that mattered.

"Try this on." Damien handed her a hanger shoving her gently into one of the changing rooms. She silently glared at the door, shrugging out of her flannel, she took off her tank top, and jeans stepping into the dress pulling it up. She reached behind her zipping up as much as she could.

The bodice was teal with black leaves embroidered all around it, the skirt was silk hugging her waist and her legs fanning out slightly at her feet. There was a black shawl that she draped over her shoulders.

"Rose, let's see it."

Her mother's voice made her jump she turned opening the door stepping out into the waiting area. Delaney Turner gasped, Damien and Soren whistled, Damien took out his phone snapping a picture.

"Heather, you look absolutely amazing." Soren gushed clapping his hands together.

"My mom has already agreed to do your hair and your date will meet you at my place." Damien's smile made her a mix of excited and nervous.