Chapter 5 - Unforgivable Curses

Y/N and Flo followed by Hermione, Ron and Harry enter the defence against the dark arts classroom and take their seats close to the back. Y/N and Flo sit together with Hermione and Harry sitting adjacent to them with Ron and Seamus in front of them.

"Alastor Moody," the Professor says as he writes his name on the board. "Ministry malcontent and your new defence against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

The Professor scans the classroom with his eyes. they lock on Harry then to Y/N, they maintain a stare with Y/N willing herself not to look away. He eventually breaks off the stare and takes out his flask.

"This guy is crazy" Flo whisper's and Mad-eye stares at them with his mechanical eye. Y/N kicks her from under the table to stop speaking.

"When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" Mad-eye asks

The students trade uneasy glances. Finally, Hermione raises her hand tentatively. Y/N is surprised she did at all but yet again, she is the bright witch of her age.

"Three sir," Hermione says looking a little uncomfortable

"And they are so named?" Moody presses

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will-"

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban correct." Mad-eye finishes "Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

Seamus blinks utterly shocked that he'd been caught. He nudges Ron's arm

"There's no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head" Seamus whispers and Mad-eye turns around quickly and throws a piece of chalk in anger, barely missing Seamus

"And hear across classrooms. So, which curse shall we see first? WEASLEY!" Mad-eyed says and Ron stares at him terrified.

"Yes," He says cautiously

"Give us a curse"

"Well, my dad did tell me about one. The imperious curse." Ron says

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why" Mad-eye says and opens a jar with an unusual spider in it an enlarged it's it. He then uses his wand to send it around the class. "Don't worry. Completely harmless"

"It sure doesn't look it" Y/N mutters

The class is unsettled and one of the Ravenclaw boy's starts to laugh. "What are you laughing at?" Mad-eye says and sends the creature onto the boy's face "Talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?"

"This is barbaric" Hermione whispers to Y/N and the Ravenclaw nods only wishing that she could comfort the bushy-haired girl. Mad-Eye has the spider over a bucket of water, it's wriggling.

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do- did You-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another, come on. Longbottom is it? Up." Neville stands, his posture slumped clearly wanting to be anywhere else but here.

"There's the um- the cruciatus curse." He says nervously

"Correct! come come. Particularly nasty. The torture curse." Mad-Eye says as Neville steps forward to the professors desk "Crucio"