11. differences aside

CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN

"THANKS J." ANDIE GAVE JEFF A SMILE as he finished helping bandage up her knee, with some added aloe vera they often used to mend wounds. He didn't say anything, but gave her a smile as he squeezed her shoulder, trailing off after.

The girl looked off into the distance as she mindlessly played with her pocket knife. Intrusive thoughts inflicted her brain, draining her emotional energy. She had no idea what to make of everything that had happened recently, only that's she was sick and tired of living in stupefaction.

She seemed lost in thought to those around, yet she was hyper aware of her surroundings. She heard Chuck's shallow breaths as he sat down beside her, his feet shuffling underneath him, and his bum brushing the bark on the wooden log as he repositioned himself.

She felt his gaze on the side of her face, but didn't bother turning. Soon his eyes fell upon the knife she held a tight grip on, the blade poking the ligneous stump. His eyebrows furrowed, and he took a sharp intake of breath when the blade impaled the wood.

The suddenness made her head snap his way, eyebrows furrowing at his startled expression. "You okay, little guy?" She let out a chuckle as she placed the knife in her holster.

"Do you trust him?" She didn't have to ask who he was speaking off, his eyes having trailed towards the pit where Thomas and Teresa lie.

She sighed, her humor quickly fading. She heard the steps of others approaching but didn't mind one bit speaking her opinion.

"No," she shook her head. "I don't trust him." She saw the disappointment that clouded his face, her throat tightening at the sight. "But,"

His head snapped up at the single word, anticipating her next. She turned her body towards him, placing a hand on his shoulder as her eye met his.