Chapter Ten

The rain buraded the window as the windshield wipers furiously tried to keep up. Despite it being the morning, the sky was dark and overcast. I nervously shook my leg. Ever since the accident I had developed a bit of an apprehension to being in vehicles, not all the time though. Mostly when its dark, the road is icy, or... its raining.

I let out a shaky breath, trying not to make my nervousness too noticeable. I failed.

Paul glanced over to me, "You okay?"

I nodded, shooting him a tight lipped smile.

I could tell that he didn't believe me, but didn't push the subject.

I took a deep breath and leaned back against the seat, "I just um...sometimes cars make me nervous."

"Are you okay?" he questioned me, his grip tightening on the wheel.

"Yes, i'm fine. You don't need to worry about me."

Paul schoffed, "I will always worry about you Adair."

"Yeah, right." I looked away from him.

He glared ahead of him and tightened his knuckles even more, "Whats that supposed to mean?"

"It means," I crossed my arms in front of me, "i'll believe it when I see it."

He snapped his head towards me, "Why are you being so dificult about this? I'm trying to show you!" He raised his voice slightly.

"Oh my sincerest apologies," I shot back at him sarcastically, "I wasn't aware I was obligated to forgive you from one half assed apology and a vague explanation."

He began to shake slightly and still look towards me, "I can't-"

He was cut off my the back end of the truck losing traction against the slippery road. I gasped, the sound being caught in my throat from shock as we contiunued to hydroplain down the highway.

Paul's concentration had snapped back to the road as he steered into the skid and expertly brought the car to a stop.

My ears began to ring, and my heartbeat was beating out of my chest. Images of my familys crashed car flashed through my mind as my shallow breathing refused to slow down. I continued to stare out the window in my panicked state, almost in a trance from the shock.

"Adair? Adair?" Pauls voice sounded almost as if it were underwater, me not processing his words as he called my name in a panicked voice.

"Adair!" He finally yelled, grabbing my attention.

My head shot towards them, head still spinning while my eyes were wild and glazed over in panic.

"Shit," he mumbled, undoing his seat belt and sliding over, grabbing my face in his warms large hands, "I'm so sorry. Hey, hey," I made eye contact with him, "breath with me alright?"

He began to breath in and out slowly, encouraging me to breath with him. I took in a few shaky breaths, head spinning from my lack of air, and began to more sucessfully copy him.

The rain still battered the truck, but a little lighter as Paul began to come more into focus, and my mind cleared.

I closed my eyes and let myself selfishly relish in his touch, before pulling away.

"Sorry."

He shook his head, "You have no reason to be sorry, I-" He ran a hand through his hair, "I should have been paying more attention."

I took in another deep breath and leaned back against the leather seat, "Its alright Paul. Lets just go."

He looked over me for a second longer, before sliding back to his side and driving to Emilys.