Chapter Four

The whispering started as soon as he entered the cave.

Ah, I understand now.

He is quite handsome, isn't he?

Reminds me of a wolf looking for his lost mate.

That last one creeped Chakotay out, because he had told no one his spirit guide was a gray wolf. Deciding to ignore that for now, he walked further into the damp cave, his eyes darting back and forth against the dark. . .

And then suddenly there was light.

Chakotay shielded his eyes against the change in lighting, waiting until his gaze could focus.

That's when he saw her.

"Kathryn. . ." Her name slipped out of his lips, and suddenly he called it louder. "Kathryn!" She was lying on a low table in the center of the white room, eyes closed, and from here he couldn't tell if she was breathing. Quickly forcing his legs into motion, Chakotay sprinted over, his eyes fixed on the table. He grabbed the edge, and bent over the Captain. She was breathing alright, just very, very slowly, as if she was in a deep sleep.

"Kathryn?" Chakotay's voice was no louder than a whisper now, and his fingers ghosted her cheek.

"You've come at last." Chakotay's gaze snapped up, and landed on one of the strangest alien persona he had ever seen.

It was human sized, but with rich purple skin and golden eyes, and instead of hair, it's scalp was tattooed with strange silver designs, one of which looked like his own tribal tattoo on his temple. As he touched his brow in surprise, the alien chuckled at Chakotay.

"Yes, looks familiar, doesn't it? I know all about your people Chakotay. Beautiful way of life really, a deep, rich culture." The alien came over to where Kathryn lay silently. "And she is such a fascinating woman, I have not met any with such a deep, burning fire within them." The alien studied Chakotay, one hand protectively resting on Kathryn's hand, the other on the table next to her head.

"You are very lucky to have her." Chakotay's bronze cheeks grew a bit darker.

"Kathryn and I. . ." The alien shushed him.

"I didn't mean that. I meant in the way that you are part of her, and she is part of you. Let's see, what do they call it in human culture? Ah, that's right. Soulmates. The very rare instances when one human finds the missing part of themselves in someone else." The alien smiled benevolently. "Wake her Chakotay. I think you understand."

"I don't really." Chakotay said, then glanced at the alien. "Wake her? How?" The alien looked smug.

"I'm sure you are familiar with the story of Sleeping Beauty." Chakotay thought for a moment, then blushed deeper.

"I can't do that."

"Just try. It is the only way to wake her." Chakotay gulped, sudden feeling absolutely nervous. He glanced down at Kathryn's sleeping firm, and gently ran her thumb over her cheek. The alien touched his shoulder. "The instant you kiss her, you can leave." Chakotay was torn. He had dreamed of this from almost the instant he had met Kathryn, but didn't know how she would take it.

"She's your soulmate Chakotay. It'll take the end of the universe to tear you two apart." Chakotay nodded slowly, then gazed down at the sleeping woman. He cradled her face in his warm hands, and finally brushed his lips against hers. Nothing happened, so he firmly pressed his lips to hers.

She was a medley of tastes and smells, just like he'd always imagined. Traces of coffee lingered on her lips, her faintly rose scented perfume filled his nostrils, and the simply sweet taste of her skin filled him and intoxicated him.

With a startled gasp, Kathryn's eyes flew open, and for a second, they gazed into each other's eyes, rich brown and dark blue enveloped in each other. The white room was gone from around them, and there was no trace of the alien. Without remembering getting off the table, Kathryn found herself wrapped up in her First Officer's arms.

"Chakotay. . ." A finger was pressed against her lips.

"Don't say a word, I want to remember this moment forever." She blushed, tilting her chin up to look at him.

"Can you. . ." Her gaze skittered away. Chakotay put two fingers under her chin.

"Can I what Kathryn?" She looked absolutely bashful, which was something Chakotay had never thought he'd see on her.

"Can you kiss me again?" She whispered softly, gazing back up into his dark eyes. Chakotay smiled.

"Anything you say Captain." He bent down towards her, and felt her arms reach around his neck before her lips crashed onto his, her body clinging against him like it belonged there.

Soulmates indeed. Chakotay thought quietly before more pressing matters took forefront in his mind.

=/\=

Back on Voyager. . .

"Commander, can I see you in my ready room?" With a not too subtle grin, Chakotay rose from his chair and followed Janeway into her ready room, which was the Captain's personal office away from the noise of the bridge. As the doors closed behind him, he felt her hand intertwine with his, and lead him over to the couch. The stars streamed by the window as the starship warped through space, once again on it's journey towards Earth.

Chakotay sat beside Janeway, and gently put an arm around her, relaxing once she had leaned into him comfortably.

"I've been thinking." She said softly, one hand stroking his chest.

"That makes two of us." Chakotay rumbled quietly, his free hand playing with Kathryn's auburn hair. She chuckled.

"Well, what are we going to do Chakotay? There's no way we can keep our feeling separate from our work anymore." She sighed, her head finding a comfortable spot against his chest. Chakotay's hand drifted down her back, rubbing the tension away in her shoulders.

"Then don't." He said simply, resting his cheek on her head. "This far away from Earth, we have to rely on each other to survive. Look at Tom and B'Elanna, they took a risk and got married a year ago." He softly kissed the top of her head. "We can make this work, I know we can." Kathryn chuckled.

"Quite the philosopher, aren't you?" Chakotay blushed, making her giggle harder.

"Always, for my Captain." She glanced back up at him, a cheeky sparkle in her eyes.

"We should've done this long ago." He nodded, eyes moving from her face to her lips.

"Yes, let's make up for it now. . ." His embrace found her's, and the two delighted in these new found feelings. It wouldn't be easy, but they'd make it work, no matter what.