CHAPTER VII

"What you mean, 'no'?! I'm his partner, you jerk! Let me through!"

The security guard stared at Whynnie with obvious boredom in his eyes as two others held her back. "I'm sorry, ma'am, but he's only requested to see one guest, and it's not you," the guard reiterated. "We'll let you know if he asks for you. Thank you and goodbye."

Whynnie pulled her arms out of the guards' grips and harrumphed. "I'll be back," she snapped, pointing at the head security guard before spinning on a heel and storming out of the penitentiary.

 "I'll be back," she snapped, pointing at the head security guard before spinning on a heel and storming out of the penitentiary

Aphrodite floated into the cell as the door slid open, nodding to the guards. "Thank you, darlings," she told them. "Now give us some privacy, would you?"

"The conversation will be monitored, ma'am," one of the guards replied. "And if he does anything deemed threatening, we'll be stepping in."

Aphrodite rolled her eyes. "Understood. Now shoo."

The guards stepped back, and the door closed behind Aphrodite.

The goddess of love stared at Delvis Billiard, who sat on his cot with his head in his hands. "My, my, my," she purred. "You really jumped the gun, didn't you?"

"I killed someone," Delvis mumbled into his hands. "With my bare hands. Because of what you did to me."

"Hand," Aphrodite corrected him. "Your bare hand. You only used one—which, admittedly, is quite impressive."

"SHUT YOUR MOUTH," Delvis hissed, lifting his head as his eyes turned black-and-pink with fury. "Don't you DARE try to make this sound like some kind of victory! I was USED like a PUPPET to MURDER SOMEONE!"

"Oh, yes. A Faithful cultist." Aphrodite gave Delvis a mocking pout. "Such a tragedy. Now before you try anything funny," she added, raising a finger as Delvis leapt to his feet in a rage, "remember that you are currently in the Safe Haven Penitentiary, surrounded by trained guards. And keep in mind that you are standing before a goddess, who existed long before you were even a thought."

Delvis hesitated before slowly sitting back down, his expression dark.

"Good boy." Aphrodite crossed her arms. "Now tell me, darling: why the summons? If there was anyone's presence you requested, I thought for sure it would be Whynnie's."

"I want you to tell me how it happened," Delvis answered before Aphrodite finished speaking. "Tell me how Veronika was able to take control of my body and use me to carry out her d--- Purge!" He spat out the final word angrily, glaring at his employer.

"Of course." Aphrodite dipped her head. "You are currently employing the ability known as 'cardiosynchrony'—a coin termed by yours truly, trademark pending. This ability is very powerful, and if used without caution, it can be reversed."