three

Travis emerged some time in the afternoon, hood up and making a beeline for the garden. By the time Carter noticed he was there, the boy had almost finished a cigarette.

"Those aren't good for you." He said gently.

"Its not heroin." Travis defended himself.

"Its nicotine, its still a drug, you've just barely gotten through heroin withdrawal Travis." Carter sat down on the bench beside him, watching the boy put his cigarette out. "Can I have the rest please?"

Travis pulled a packet of cigarettes, a lighter and a strawberry geek bar from his pocket.

"Where did you get these?"

"Gas station." Travis replied.

"How are you feeling?" Carter asked gently, he could see the uncomfortable guilt on the boys face.

"Better, thank you." He replied quietly. "Um... when do I have to leave by?"

"What? You don't have to leave love." Carter replied with a frown. "You're welcome here as long as you want. You're not well enough to leave anyway."

"You're not... You're not going to kick me out the minute I'm well?" Travis was staring at him with wide eyes.

"No." Carter shook his head. "Of course not."

"Oh, thank you." Travis frowned. "Really?"

"I know you've been fucked over before, but I promise I won't let that happen again." He replied. The teen looked back at his hands, one of his knees bouncing. "I'm going to help Travis, I promise."

"Thank you." Travis sighed. "No one's ever told me that before."

"Are you hungry?" Carter asked, he wanted to try and get the boy to eat some more. He was hopeful that his stomach had settled now, and he would be able to get his strength back.

"A little." Travis nodded.

Carter smiled. "How about lunch?"

Travis nodded and followed him into the house. The other boys were already sat at the table, Kit and Artemis in a heated discussion about their chess game, whilst Alex was talking quietly with Riley and Noah. He didn't seem right, Carter had noticed it, at first he thought it was because he was wrapped up in his art, but Carter was growing more concerned that it wasn't the case.

True, Alex was the quiet one, but he had been distant for nearly a week now and it was hurting Carter's heart. He had to get to the bottom of it, and help Travis. His boys never made it easy for him, but he didn't want it any other way.

"Hi Travis!" Riley smiled and waved at the boy, who smiled and sat down opposite him.

"Hi."

"I made bacon pasta, I hope that's okay?" Riley dished Travis and Carter each a plate. The others had eaten or had halfway finished, and Carter was surprised there was so much left.

"Thank you my love." Carter smiled. It looked delicious, Alex and Riley had worked hard. Travis looked at his plate in surprise and took a tentative bite if his bacon.

"This is really good." He said nervously.

"Thank you!" Riley beamed. "I'm glad you like it."

"You two out did yourselves." Carter nodded. He noticed Alex slip out of the room and excused himself to follow him. "Alex?"

"Hmm?" Alexis jumped like he had been in his own world.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine." He said it almost robotically.