Keep Your Eye on the Money

Ok so I know I've been on kinda a long break, but I promise I'm not abandoning this story!!  This chapter is extra-long and we get introduced to some new important original characters.  I hope you guys enjoy!

***

"So really it's simple. You just take the cosign of figure A and divide that by the-," Ms. Senju droned on and on. I hated upper-level math; I really did. Math was undeniably useful out in the real world but honestly, when was knowing that the square root of 'i' is negative one gonna come in handy? It would've helped if we at least had a cute student teacher telling us all this.

Whatever, I would just get Shikamaru to explain it to me later. I was supposed to be going over to his house after school this Friday for a study session anyway. First semester midterms were coming up and I needed some help. It was better to study with him if I actually wanted to learn anything. Every time the girls and I got together to study it always ended up with us gossiping, singing to music, and doing virtually anything but looking at our schoolbooks. Plus, I had to give him back the jacket he lent me.

I sighed as the bell rang, signaling the end of my current hell. I just wanted to survive the rest of the day. The girls and I were walking to the mall after school. Hinata had some kind of company party coming up that her family was expected to attend, and we were going to help her find a new dress for the event. I may or may not have also wanted to buy a new outfit suitable for an interview, hoping it would make me feel better about this job situation. It had only been a few days since my birthday but the sooner I took care of it the better. My grandfather wouldn't be patient for long, and I didn't even know if getting another job would get him off my back. I sighed as I put my head down on my desk, ignoring the bemused look on Shika's face while I waited for our next teacher to make their appearance.

***

I put the last of my books that'd I'd need for homework in my bag and shut my locker. I walked with the other three towards the front door of the school. It had taken enough time at our lockers that we now had to navigate the mass exodus that I did my best to avoid on a daily basis. As I pushed through the throngs of people, I became separated from the other girls. Just as I had crossed the threshold out into the courtyard, I noticed I was alone in managing to cross the sea of people. I rolled my eyes at the inconvenience but set myself to walking over to the left towards a bench to get out of the way of the crowd and snag my friends when they came by.

A few steps away from the bench I heard a familiar voice call out, "Uchiha!"

Since I saw neither my cousin nor the mob of squealing, giggling girls that usually followed in his wake, I assumed the voice was referring to me. When I turned my head to look, I was met by a messy brown mop of hair, piercing brown eyes, and those trademark pearly whites. Kiba had cornered me at last.

I smirked and crossed my arms, "Uchiha huh? What happened to Raki? Aren't we friends anymore?"

"I figured it would get your attention," He smiled back at me. "So how are you enjoying my birthday present?"

"Thoroughly. Definitely as good as I expected," I uncrossed my arms.

"Good enough to earn me that date?" he looked at my face, waiting for his answer.

I laughed, "You're persistent if anything, I'll give you that."

"I'd say I'm goal oriented," it was his turn to cross his arms.

"Oh, goal oriented," I snorted, "and just what is your goal?" I played dumb, wanting him to work for it.

"To get you to give me a chance," his voice softened and the look in his eyes changed. Kiba was one of the most popular athletes in the school, and stereotypically he was loud, brass, and constantly joking around. But not in this moment, I could see the sincerity in his eyes. It caught me off guard, but I wouldn't let him see that. It did help me make my decision though.