in the works of things

You'd become closer friends with the other kids, dad never said anything but you knew he was happy. Glad to see you getting along with the other kids. The more you got to know Carl the more you realized he's not so bad, he's a sweet kid really he is. And Sophia she's quiet reserved but you could tell she enjoyed hanging out and the little sleepovers you guys would have with Carl in his mom's tent. It was always Carl's tent, the didn't like dad or Merle got scared of em real easy. And I didn't like the way Sophia's dad talked to her or her mom, it made me mad I don't think anyone should get talked to like that ever...

I remember it was nice outside the air was cold but the sun was warm. Perfect chore weather, Sophia had been forced to join the other girls to clean by her dad. It pisses you off but you bit your tongue so you wouldn't say anything too bitter.  You and Carl where sitting with Dale, the old man you'd start to call him old man and he'd call you scrub. It was some the pair of you'd had together. He had went inside to get us some clean water and some lunch, me an Carl sat together looking down from his RV talking about nonsense. "Hey Carl come on down here!" Shane had yelled down below by the tent, you hated when your friends got pulled away it meant you had nothing do. "I'll be down!" Carl yelled back "Can Y/N come too?", It was a pause and Carl looked at you excited waiting for the answer. You could tell Shane didn't like you but you didn't like him back just as equally or even more, he always creeped you out it was something about him you couldn't put your finger on. "Well sure why not, maybe he could help me!" Shane yelled back after awhile giving you a large fake smile. You didn't reciprocate one back and jumped down from the RV helping Carl down the latter. You didn't want him to get hurt, even if he got hurt he would be able to spend more time with you. You guys ran over to Shane and he started walking down to the water, you races down falling and slipping the closer you got to the muddy dirt.

When you finally arrived to the small clearing Shane sat with his hands on his hips like a drill instructor of some sort. "Alright young men! Today we're going to go fishing." He say throwing old life vests at us, point to the water he said "on the water in a boat!". Carl was excited and you where unamused, you weren't a big fan of fishing sure it was fun but you'd rather be doing big hunting like dad. Almost on que as Shane was explaining some basic rule of thumb about fishing dad called from afar, "Y/N come on over here dad needs you for a second!" You perk up as if God himself has saved you from this boring Saturday afternoon. "Coming dad!" You yelled and gave a apologetic look to Carl and a bit to Shane, you ran up the hill towards dad who was standing in road. You finally got up to dad and gave him a curious look "what's up?" You say walking besides him back to camp. "Oh nothing really, you just looked bored and Shane ain't got nothing interesting to say anyhow." Dad laughed at you and you laughed back "well you're right.". Walking back dad said something "I think you should learn to shoot today, how's that sound?" He said turning towards you with curious eyes. He knew you'd say yes he had to have what kinds 10 year old would miss that opportunity. I turn to dad with a genuine smile it was toothy and dad returned it "yeah let's do it" you say to him. "Alright let's get to a empty field, get yourself a gun huh?" Dad messes up your hair with his wide hands.

You guys grabbed multiple guns with their proper ammo and head out to a field about half a mile from camp. You where excited, sure you'd gotten some training with hunting season but nothing real like this. "Alright firefly let's get started" dad had handed you a pistol something you hadn't used before but you liked the feel it had. "Alright" dad stood behind you guilding your posture then stood beside you "you're gonna stand just like that, if your far away from a biter. If your closer get as close this stance as possible do you hear me? I never wanna see you doing none of this." He stood casually and you giggled "or whatever the hell Shane does" and mocked his stance. That's when you really started laughing and dad chuckled along with you, "alright I promise I won't do whatever that is" you point at dad. You stood properly and dad continued " and be prepared for a knock back that's what most guns give you, it's a bit of a kick but if you don't expect it you'll go flying" dad looked at you seriously, you gave him a nod. "Alright go ahead pumpkin take a shot" he said standing off to the side behind you. You took a deep breath and aimed, you took a hot minute dad was giving you tips from behind to better the shot and you took the advice. Finally you squeezer the trigger it was scary and it was true what dad said about the kick back but you where prepared then you heard the loud "Tink!" Of the can and you knew you'd hit it. "Way to go Firefly!" Dad gave you a side hug and you leaned into him. "Thanks dad!" You say putting your gun into safety as dad had told you to do before you'd taken the shot. "Alright let's get a couple more rounds in and then let's move on to the next gun.".

You guys had stayed all afternoon in that field shooting. You shot 6 other types of guns but you liked the pistols best they just felt right to you. "Alright I'll get you a proper gun and some bullets." Dad leaned down to your height, you agree with a smile and a slight head nod. And you guys continued the walk back to camp, it was a peaceful walk it was almost supper time and you where tired. "Dad I'm tired please carry me.", Dad turned at you with a sideways smile "what are you 4? You can carry yourself" he looked forwards and continued his walking pace. You stood still waiting for dad to notice, he took notice immediately and rolled his eyes with a "come here you little monster" and crouched down for you to get on his back.
You smile and jog over to climb on, you climb on and dad mumbles "you're a pain in my ass you know that". You didn't take him serious you could hear the sweetness of his love for you in his voice mumbled and all. You melt into dad's shoulder and he  whispers "but I love you anyways..", "I love you too dad." You whisper and close your eyes to take in the moment. The sun barely set and in-between the trees you could feel it's warmth, dads back was sweaty but you didn't care. You wanted to take in this moment forever, this feeling of knowing you have someone to come back too people to come back too.

The pair of you got back and dad set you right. "Hey! Y/n where have you been all day?" Carl greeted you and gave you a fist bump and you reciprocated " I got to shoot a gun today that's what!" You said snidely. "What! That's not fair I wanna go shooting!" He looked at you then to his mom "no, not a chance!" Lori said waving her arms in a X. "Well why not? Y/n gets to go shooting!" Carl whined, Lori looks at dad for support and dad tried to muster up something but couldn't think and he made it painfully clear " well my dad's a hunter and wants me to shoot to teach me to hunt is all" you say and dad gives you a look of relief. "Yeah just as Y/n said they hunt. You young man will not be.", It didn't make sense but you went with it though it did hurt to see Carl so disappointed Lori must have had some reason. "Well what's for supper?" Dad said, after he said that I noticed the smell of food and it made me hungry. "Well Daryl if you're so curious it's Ham and bean soup, Glenn found some while scavenging" Andrea said in a annoyed tone, I never much liked the way she talked to dad it's always as if she had something against my family.

Everyone sat around the fire it was dark at this point and we needed to keep the fire low. Everyone was having a good time it seemed normal for once, I sat between Merle and Carl Sophia sat on the other side of him next to her dad. " We've decided." T-dog started "me, Merle, Glenn, Andrea, and Morales. Are gonna go for a run tomorrow, we're going to the nearest big city you can see it just that way" he point in a direction far off. "... Alright if you think that's best." Dad muttered and everything went silent and weird. Everyone ate silently no sound from anyone and Lori decided to leave and take Carl with her, Shane followed after them. You turn over to Sophia you can see her uncomfort and ask "Hey Sophia you wanna have a sleepover just the two of us?" You smile at her face full of food now. She contemplates and looks over to her mom and then dad, Carol gives her the sign to go ahead and her dad just scoffed. "..sure!" She says smiling at you, getting excited you mumble "alright yeah me and you". Merle looks at you and gives you a smirk if you will "what you like her or something?" He laughs putting his arm over your shoulder. "What? Oh no! Nothing like that.." you say looking at him confused, he laughs and gets dad in on it too. They start teasing you and the group gets in on it too after a bit, your face has gone completely puzzled and you look at your food trying to ignore the teasing.  Everyone stopped short after seeing it didn't bother you, you agree with Sophia that you'll have a sleepover in your tent.

she goes to get her pajamas on and come over to your tent. You where excited and dad went to keep watch for the night so you'd have the tent for at least a bit to goof around before bed. Dad warned you not to stay up too late so you'd be up to say bye to Merle, but you didn't listen you where too excited about hanging out with Sophia. You'd set her up your bed and you and dad would sleep together tonight. When she came into the area to the point you could see her lantern you jumped out of the tent to see her mom walking her over. " Hi Carol! Hi Sophia!" They both waved at you and you waved back. "I'm just making sure she got here safe." Carol said crossing her sweater, "oh no you're okay! Come in Sophia!" You opened tent and she excitedly came inside. You watched Carol walk away and like that she was off in the night retreating back to her tent with Ed.

The pair of you ended up talking almost all night she shared secrets from her old friends and told you stories about life before. You did the same in return and promised you'd teach Carl and her secretly how to use a gun properly to protect themselves. You told her you didn't want them to get hurt ever and she agreed. You passed out on the same mattress and over slept Merle's leave, he left you a note though and dad gave it to you before he went hunting for a couple days. It was the first time in a long time you'd truly been alone.