Hands to Yourself

The Mighty Nein were all intrigued by Essek to say the least. He was mild mannered, composed, quiet, and nice enough... There had to be another side to him, one where he wasn't the perfect image that he portrayed when people were around. He had to relax and let his guard down sometime. He had to act like a real person instead of the stuffy shadowhand charged with keeping tabs on them.

He only ever stopped by on business. Checking up on them, giving them a new task; it was never just to hang out. The longest he'd stay at their house was to teach Caleb new spells, and the fellow wizard was the only one he'd spend quality time with.

There had to be more to him. He has a favorite food, a favorite song, a secret birthmark somewhere, he has his own life separate from work. Or at least that's what Jester was sure of. She really wanted him to be their friend instead of strictly business partners, but he seemed dead set of keeping their relationship distant and professional. He was gathering his things and was about to head out the door when Jester spoke up.

"How come you never stay? I feel like I barely know you," she mused, propping her face in her hands. He let out a warm chuckle.

"And I'd prefer to keep it that way. I'm a busy man, surely you understand," he said with a small smile.

"What's your favorite color?" she asked, cocking her head to the side. His patient smile grew slightly more genuine. "Navy blue."

"What's your favorite season?"

"I don't think I have one, really."

"What's like, the weirdest dream you've ever had?"

"Does she always ask this many questions?" Essek asked with slight amusement.

"Ah, only sometimes," Caleb said, sharing an amused look with Jester. She just beamed up at him.

"Well I want to know some things about him. I'm sorry Essek, but right now your personality is like cardboard." Caleb's jaw dropped in disbelief and embarrassment as Essek dipped his head down to try and hide his amusement.

"Jester!"

"What? It's the truth, he always acts so proper and boring, like it's such a chore to come see us," she whined.

"That's because it is his job," Caleb said, fixing her with a look. She merely giggled.

"It's alright Caleb. I'm just, more serious and professional than what you're used to," he said to Jester.

"Hey, I can be serious too ya know," she said, schooling her features into a tough expression. Essek merely nodded, eyebrows raised.

"Oh I'm sure you are. After all, I don't think you all could survive the work you do if you were so foolish all the time," he teased. She scoffed indignantly, but a wide smile was in place.

"Wow, I didn't think you even knew how to tease someone. That was really good," she giggled, holding out her hand for a high five. He looked at her hand, casting a quick glance at Caleb before turning away and opening the door.

"Yes well, thank you. Have a good day."

"Why not stay for dinner? You've never taken us up on the offer and Caduceus is a really good cook."

"I'm afraid I'm busy tonight. But I have another lesson with Caleb tomorrow, I'll see if I can clear my schedule then." She gasped and jumped up from her seat in excitement.

"Oh my gosh, really? Waaait... you're not just saying that to make me shut up, are you?" she asked incredulously. Caleb shot her another look, which she ignored.

"Not at all Miss Lavorre. I am a man of my word," he said.

"Alright, leave him be, you've pestered him long enough," Caleb chastised.