yuta and mark

by: babelincoln
language: english
wc: 4134

Summary:

“look at the camera.” yuta tells him. mark stares down the lens, and he channels all of his desire for yuta into his gaze, knowing full well that yuta’s eyes are locked on his digital apparition on the screen. “who are you?” asks yuta.

“mark lee.” answers mark.

“and what are you?”

mark’s cheeks flush cherry coloured, but he keeps his eyes locked steadily at the camera. “i’m hyung’s little whore.”

.

“say hi, mark.” 

“hi, mark.” mark lee grins, throwing a hand halfway up in greeting. he’s become all too accustomed, by now, to the red light of yuta’s camera. he once would have protested; he hates the sound of his speaking voice played back, and he always takes issue with the way he stands; the awkward posture and how he never knows what to do with his hands. yuta is insistent though; and mark knows that filming is the thing yuta is passionate about, more so than anything else in the world. so he entertains it willingly. 

they’d met at a party in mark’s freshman year of college; nakamoto yuta was already in the third year of his filmmaking course, and had drunkenly stumbled over his own feet, crashing into mark and spilling booze all over both of them. mark wasn’t exactly sober that night either; and the circumstances were a bit of a blur. all he can remember is that their shared trip to the party host’s bedroom in search of dry t-shirts had somehow ended up with mark’s face in the pillows and his hips in yuta’s hands; and yuta doing something with his tongue mark still hasn’t figured out the logistics of. 

it wasn’t like mark at all; and he blames it all on the tequila his best friend donghyuck had insisted they shot before coming out. still, nothing but good came of it. yuta left his number behind in mark’s phone, and the next morning mark worked up the courage to send a text. two years and yuta’s graduation later and they’re standing by a shoreline, yuta’s camera focused on mark’s face rather than the beautiful seas crashing onto jeju’s sands. 

“ah, so cute.” yuta coos, reaching out to pinch mark’s cheek. mark shrugs away from him with a laugh, shaking his head.

“hyung,” he says with a smile that hurts his cheeks. he thrusts his thumb towards the ocean. “there’s a beautiful view you could be filming.” 

“i’m filming the most beautiful view in the world.” protests yuta. the words are so cheesy that they make him cringe, and yet mark pushes the camera to the side with a laugh, leaning in to press a soft kiss to yuta’s lips.

stacks on stacks of polaroid pictures litter the dashboard of their rental car. mark had thought he’d purchased a safe amount of film in his preparation for their vacation, but yuta’s insistence on documenting every aspect of their trip had burned through their supply pretty quickly. 

mark knows what’s going on. two weeks is the longest they’d ever spent apart from one another, and yuta’s work had been noticed at his end-of-semester showing. he’d been noticed by a director and was invited to come along and do camera work at an indie film they were working on. it was the type of opportunity you’d have to be stupid not to take, especially right after graduation. 

the catch was; they’d be filming half of the project in japan. and they’d be filming for a month. 

mark isn’t stupid. the prospect of staying in japan for a month had visibly excited yuta. not only was it a huge foot in the door when it came to his future career; they’d be filming close enough to yuta’s family home that he’d be able to stay with his parents for a month. it was perfect, and if filming was to start over the summer, mark would have packed his bags and been right there with him. but that was where the stars decided to stop lining up; filming would start in the fall. first month of mark’s junior year of university.