Chapter Nine

As much as I would have loved for the idyllic days to last forever, I knew that they couldn't possibly go on for much longer. My mother and I had recently learned to pray, and were now obligated to perform our five daily prayers. Having to disappear from sight so often during the day-along with the fact that our combined disappearances aligned perfectly with those times of the day that the Others performed their own five daily prayers-was very risky.

However, the moment my head rested on the ground in sujood, my fears were washed away and I knew every risk we were taking was all worth it. My mother told me that she felt the same; she had decided just a few days back that she was a believer beyond a doubt. Watching her declare her shahada, with me as her witness, had been one of the most moving moments in my young life.

One of the benefits of our knowledge seeking was that my mother, previously so quiet and unresponsive toward-or even accepting of-any form of abuse, had realized her worth in front of Allah as a woman and a mother. She had become stronger, and her self-worth was increasing in leaps and bounds. One day, when she sharply remonstrated Cory for a rude, offhand remark he made towards her, I almost jumped up and embraced her with pride.

He was so shocked by her retort that he froze for a second with a look of absolute disbelief on his face. He then quickly apologized and left the room without another word. My mother looked at me questioningly. "Was I too hard on him?" she asked me softly, so that he wouldn't hear her.

"I don't think so," I reassured her, patting her arm. "You're his mother, and he should have every respect towards you. I think he's just surprised." I saw again, in my mind's eye, the look of disbelief and shock on his face, and a feeling of unease crept over me. "Do you think he's beginning to suspect us, Mom?"

She sighed. "I'm not sure, Xav, but I worry that he is beginning to. He gives us very strange looks sometimes, have you noticed? I'm sure he's noticed that we're together so often now, and usually out of his sight and hearing range. It's not exactly our 'norm', is it? I truly fear the day he finds out-nothing will stop him if he were to decide that your father is to know."

"Somehow..." I began haltingly, then continued. "Somehow, I don't think he'd be eager to tell him this time. He seems a little... Different, lately. I'm not sure how to explain it. But may Allah protect us, regardless of what happens. We must have faith. Now come, Mom-It's 'Asr time."

At that, we both quietly made our way out of the back door to find a place to perform our afternoon salaat.

***

That evening, Cory approached me with a strange, unreadable expression on his face. "Xavier, I want to speak with you," he said softly.

I was immediately fearful. Had we been found out? The past several hours flitted at lightning speed through my mind, trying to figure out where we might have been indiscreet. I tried to mask the panic in my voice. "What do you want to speak to me about?" I asked, my voice as nonchalant as I could muster.

He tilted his head, giving me another odd look. "Not here. How about we go up to that attic of yours?"

I swallowed my fear and nodded bravely. "Sure, Cory. Lead the way."

As we made our way up to the attic room, a thousand questions fired their way into my consciousness. I tried to ignore them, as well as the unease and panic that was beginning to course through my veins. I attempted to reassure myself that he just wanted to talk about our latest lesson in magic, where I had managed to Turn successfully for the first time, or maybe about his plans for our next session.

When we reached the room, Cory gestured for me to enter first, then followed behind me and sealed the entrance. He sat on the dusty floor, and I silently sat across from him, then gave him an assessing gaze. He didn't seem angry, but he seemed very solemn. I decided that stalling wasn't going to get us anywhere, and took a deep breath. "What is it that you called me here for, Cory?" I asked softly, seriously, all pretense dropped.

"Xavier," he began gravely, his dark eyes piercing into my own. "I've noticed some strange things going on lately."