Ava | Chap. 72

The wind sang its gentle lullaby to my ears, lulling me with the swerving blades of grass surrounding my silhouette and the calming chirp of the bird in the trees. The clouds, soft puffs of white amongst an infinite of sea of blue, crossed the calm surface of the sky without any disturbance. It's so quiet. Calm. Peaceful. Not a sound resonating out of place as Mother Nature plaid her perfect symphony.

A pang of doubt squeezed my chest, disrupting my piece.

Pushing upwards, I lifted myself from my natural bedding and looked around me. Plains to the eye can see, a sea of waving twigs of green dancing in the breeze. Something's wrong. This silence, this tranquility...

Why am I so peaceful?

I rose from my spot suddenly overtaken by the urge to stand, grabbed by a sense of deja vu. This field. I was here before... with Ruby and... someone else. A strange void replaced my memory rendering me unable to recall whomst I was with during my previous visit. How did I even get here!?

"Ava." My entire body stilled, startled by the voice that came from behind me. It was booming but also incredibly soothing despite the strong sensation it left in its wake.

I whirled and met the crystal blue eyes of a women, her body cloaked beneath a purple robe embedded with gold, silver and diamonds. From the hood, two cascades of silver locks spilled on each side of her face framing her pristine face. Everything about her felt strange, foreign but also warm and familiar.

"Who... who are you?

- You can't leave us, Navira."

I frowned, confused. Navira? Who the hell-

"You know I can't stay, Katara." Saying my heart stopped would be a serious understatement. If a monitor would be hooked up to me, it would b let flat lined. It took every bit of will power in me to turn around.

Mom...

She looked different from what I remembered; she seemed to be younger, no wrinkles or streaks of silver in her oak brown locks. No stains of fatigue in her eyes, nor any scars or bruises marking her pale skin. Still, it's undoubtedly her.

My mother.

I turned when the Silver haired woman stepped forward, a look of concern hidden beneath the shade of her hood as my mother went on.

"You know what they'll do if they find out... even if they don't, I'll never be happy, I never was! I want to choose my own path, make my own choices and decisions."

A sigh came from the silver woman. "I understand your wish for freedom but this decision doesn't affect you alone, it affects the faith of the kingdom!"

My mother slammed the cover of a wooden chest, frustration emanating from her like a heatwave. She remained silent but moved around the room, gathering what I assumed would be the necessities for her departure. The atmosphere was so thick it could be cut with a knife. I couldn't do much more but watch while the scene unraveld, still confused about the situation.

Why is mother running away? And from whom? Why is she with the Queen?

I was pulled back to the conversation when my mother placed her hands onto the Queen's shoulders, dread clouding her eyes. "Katara... as much as I love you and this kingdom... I can't allow my child to live under the reign of a tyrant." Despite a lack of any reaction, I felt an aura of anguish and despair emanate from her.

She pulled my mother into her arms, holding her into a tight embrace before whispering something I could not comprehend. It was then the world began to shift and I felt myself free falling into a void I could not see, syncing into the abyss of my thoughts. Darkness shrouded my vision only making me realize my eyes were closed although I did not remember closing them before. Doubt clouded my judgment, struggling to discern if what I was feeling was real or not.