SEUNGMIN

"Thank you for dining at Café Placebo. Come back again." faking a smile in front of the customer.

That's all I ever do.

Faking a smile.

Faking that I am okay.

Faking that my life is perfect.

That's all they are. Fake.

"Hey, Seungmin! It's payday today. Let's go to the bar down the street to unwind. This week has been one hell of a week because of the holidays." my friend slung his arm over my shoulder and grinned at me.

"Sorry, I can't. U-uhmm I need to study for my exam in law school." Fake. You are lying Seungmin.

"Oh, I forgot. You are a law student. Why you gotta be so perfect Mr, Kim?" he joked. I wish I am perfect but I am not. "Your parents must be very proud of you."

"Yes, they are." Lies again. What a joke you are Seungmin. "I need to go. See you on Monday."

"See ya."

I am late.

Need to move fast.

Shaking, I packed my things and hurriedly went out of the café and run straight to the bus stop. Tapping my foot on the pavement as I check the time every second. Fear runs through every vein in my body. I can't be late or else...

The bus arrived which made me bolt through the door. Can this bus go any faster? I don't want to be late. I can't be late. Reaching the stop I am supposed to get off at, something hit me. Why am I doing this? Why am I afraid of them? With heavy steps, I exited the transportation and slowly walked towards my so-called home.

I am done being scared.

I am done lying to myself and everyone.

I am done with this life.

With a blank face, I entered their house. Shaking no more, I looked at my so-called parents glaring at me. My sorry of an excuse father grabbed the collar of my shirt and starts to violently shake my lanky malnourished body.

"Where the fuck have you been, you retard?! Out enjoying for yourself?! You selfish bastard!!"

Alcohol... He smells like alcohol. Drunk again.

"Why are you not answering you incompetent fool! Answer your father!"

"Father? Where?"

Slap

"You ungrateful son of a bitch! Is this how you'll repay us after giving birth to you?! You selfish motherfucker!" my so-called father shouted as he punches my stomach and side multiple times while still holding on to my collar. I feel like he broke all of my ribs but I can't feel the pain. I became numb from the pain. Who wouldn't be? If you experience this every day your body will get used to the pain.

Blood?

Did I cough out blood?

He went all out this time.

"Are you done?" this made them angrier and the woman joined in. Pulling my hair yanked my head from left to right and the man continued to punch as if I were a bag of sand. Parents, huh. They are not parents. They are not even human. What a joke my life is. In the eyes of other people, I am the perfect son. Attending law school and earning a living for my parents but inside these cursed four walls is a maltreated money cow for these horrible people. Why did they even give birth to me if they can't even put food inside their mouth? I wish they could've just got rid of me when they found out then let me live but kill me inside.

"Selfish motherfucker." mumbled the drunk man.

"You have no respect to your mother and father!" the gambler woman added.

What a nice duo both of them from hell. Demons disguising as humans. Disgusting humans!

Snap

A bloody grin appeared on my face. Lifeless eyes looked at the hateful pair.

"Selfish? Me?" a dark deep laugh escaped from my mouth. "Father? Mother? You? I don't have one. I never considered you as my parents. More like lazy, ungrateful tyrants!" another laugh escaped from my trembling mouth but this time it's dry and dark. "You want money, right? For gambling?" I looked at the evil woman. "For alcohol?" then to the drunkard in front of me. "Here! Drown yourself in alcohol! Bet all you can! Sell your souls to the devil! I don't fucking care!"

The bills scattered unto the floor and in an instant the drunk man who held me by the collar let go of me and raised the woman on getting the money. This is what money does to greedy people. Losing every ounce of humanity within themselves. Without a word, I left that godforsaken house. They didn't even notice I was gone.

Monsters.

Greedy monsters.

Their voices fighting over the money echoed throughout the neighborhood. Shameless. Greedy. Evil. That's what they are and I will never see them again. I will soon be free from the shackles they put on me. I can finally be happy... I hope.

Unsure steps took me to the place where most people like me end their problems. The strong ocean breeze hit my cold face and a rusty scent invades my nose. The harsh waves hit the rocks below with strong force. I looked at the water below with blank eyes. Unconsciously, I climbed up the railing and sat on it. The fall will surely be painful and cold.

"Stop! Don't!"

Who was that? I am the only one here. Glancing from left to right, I did not spot a single soul. Turning my attention again to the crashing waves below and slowly put my feet on the edge. Looking up at the sky, tears start to fall from my eyes. I forgot I know how to cry. I thought I was numb but I was wrong.

"Stop, please! Don't jump!"

With a bitter smile and ignoring the voice, I slowly let go and leaned forward. Strong wind hit my face as I fall. For the last time, I closed my eyes waiting for the harsh waters to eat me up.

Warm hands? Warm hands wrap around me. Who is this? I opened my eyes and I see myself in front of me, smiling sadly. Why do I see myself?

"I will save you. You are too precious to die."

A warm smile? When was the last time I saw this on my face? Never... Slowly I close my eyes and a wave of warmth covered my body.