Chapter 11 : Stubbornness Gets You Killed

Caspian holds no grudge from me ripping the arrow from his shoulder, and so we find ourselves running down the corridors, trying to get out into the courtyard at any cost.

Peter glances around before diverging from our straight path, and I stare before halting myself to follow him. Grabbing at him until he turns around.

"Peter!" I hiss. "What do you think you're doing?!"

"Our army is just outside!" He insists with a scowl before shaking me off and turning. Susan runs after him, trying to catch his attention again, as I stare dumbfounded, anger and frustration boiling in my stomach. I feel a warm pressure in my hand and look down before up at Caspian, he smiles, holds up our hands and waits until I smile back at him.

"Calm," he tells me, and I nod, taking in a deep breath.

"Calm," I agree quietly before he releases my hand and we follow the two siblings out into the courtyard.

I easily locate Edmund's tower and cup my hands together, craning my next to look up at it.

"Ed! Signal the troops!" I call up, and I see him dip over the he disappears from my view.

"I'm a little busy right now, Nora!" He yells down to me and I turn, only to duck and dart out of the way of a sword, following after Peter.

I find him struggling with the gate, and I take a firm hold of his arm.

"Peter, it's too late!" I yell, and he pauses and turns to look at me angrily. "We have to call it off while we still can!"

"No, I can still do this! Help me!" He insists and I have the sudden urge to push him.

"Stop being stubborn! You're going to get one or all of us killed if you keep going on like this!" I spit, my hands shaking at my sides. "Stop being so... Peter."

"Just help me!"

I take in a deep breath before I move to help him turn the wheel, my arms screaming at me even when Caspian and Susan come to help.

"Just who exactly are you doing this for, Peter?" Susan says and Peter blinks, before he shakes his head, returning to the task of the gate.

Asterius uses his horns to smash through the first gate. The Narnians charge past us they draw their weapons, immediately engaging in the battle as we step out from the gate house.

I raise my sword up to the inky black sky, trying to ignore the shakiness of my hands. And I feel a fire. It curls in my stomach and moves downwards, curling my toes and warming my feet before it moves upwards, following my hands to my fingertips, and then upwards towards my head. My sword practically blazes beneath the torches.

The fire, I realise, is adrenaline. And it fuels me.

"For Narnia!" I cry, and the crowd of Narnians roar, and they fight.

An arrow narrowly misses my ear and I turn in a fury to see Ed, grinning as he stands on top of a Telmarine soldier.

"Ed!" I shout in thanks before I turn, blocking a sword headed to slash my shoulder. I use all my force to push the sword back before I kick the soldier in the chest and duck out of the way.

A satyr tumbles from above and hits the ground hard, and the world seems to fall silent as I stop, finally seeing.
My people, the Narnians, are fighting but are vastly outnumbered and already some are lying injured or dead. As the fire burns my heart, it hurts and I can't stop feeling as people around me die.

And it's not right.

"Get that gate closed!" Miraz's voice barks and I turn back on like a light, my head snapping up.

"We have to get out," I say, and my sword falls from my fingers, clattering, before I cup my hands to my mouth. "Leave!" I scream and everything seems to go silent.

"Fall back! Retreat!" Peter yells and everything dissolves into chaos. Asterius charges forward, holding up the descending gate.

Susan swings onto the back of Glenstorm as I stumble to pick up my sword, only for it to get kicked further away.

As I look up, done with searching for my lost sword, I spot Caspian, his hand held out to me, and I mimic him, our fingertips grazing before something jabs into my back and I rip my hand away to grapple onto whatever pushed me. And I look up into the eyes of a Telmarine soldier, their sword raised

Something pushed me, further away this time, and I am caught up in the scurry towards the gate, feeling desperately numb.
Asterius collapses, the gate slamming shut and I latch onto him, searching for injuries.

"Elleanora!" Caspian yells, reaching for me through a gap in the gate. He turns to me, and jumps from his horse, reaching for me trough the gate.

"Caspian, you need to go before you get stuck too," I tell him quietly as his rests his forehead against mine. "Please, just leave me."

"It's okay," He manages and I'm not sure wether it's more for him or for me.

"It'll be okay." I agree, and Caspian looks into my eyes before he closed his eyes and lean forward, pressing a kiss to my forehead; a Telmarine farewell in return of the one I gave to him. And then he's gone, running as the draw-bridge begins to close.

I watch him go until the the bridge closes, and I turn as the Telmarine soldiers charge forwards, stepping forward as they being grabbing at the Narnians.