The Doctor Dances

Rose and I stand with clasped hands, behind the protection on the Doctors' body. When suddenly he takes a step forward, and shouts, "Go to your room!" and all the patients stand still, as if listening. "Go to your room!" He shouts again, and they all tilt their heads at the same time, taking him in. "I mean it. I am very, very angry with you. I'm very, very cross. Go, to, your, room!" He enunciates each word and they all hang their heads at the scolding, and return to their beds.

"I'm really glad that worked." He sighs, and a relieved laugh slips through my lips, "Those would have been terrible last words."

I grin at Rose and pull her in for a hug, and as I let her go, Jack goes to hug me as well. I giggle before accepting the hug, and walk into his strong arms. As I pull away he grins and makes his way to the desk Constantine previously occupied, and puts his feet up. I shiver, watching his face change into the gas mask was terrible. The Doctor puts a hand on my shoulder in support, and I watch as Rose kneels by a bedded patient.

"Why are they all wearing gas masks?" She questions us.

"They're not," Jack replies, "those masks are flesh and bone."

The Doctor lets go of my shoulder and turns to face Jack, "How was your con supposed to work?"

And he shrugs as he explains, "Simple enough really, find some harmless piece of space junk. Let the nearest Time Agent track it to Earth. Convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put fifty percent up front, oops, German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for, never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discus dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con."

As Rose is making her way around the room, looking at all the patients, I watch as the Doctor tries to understand Jack.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners," Jack adds, "Pompeii's nice if you want to make it a vacation, though you've got to set your alarm for volcano day." He grins before seeing the Doctors disgusted looks and my confused one, "Getting a hint of disapproval.."

"Take a look around the room," The Doctor tells him, "this is what your piece of harmless space junk did."

And Jack quickly defends himself, "It was a burnt-out medical transporter; it was empty."

"Obviously not, Jack." I say softly as I look around the room at the evidence. The Doctor shakes his head before grabbing my hand and leading me out of the room, "Rose." He beckons, and she follows after us.

"Are we getting out of here?" She asks, and he points up, as he corrects her, "We're going upstairs."

"I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living." Jack calls out from behind us. I look over my shoulder at him sadly. "I harmed no one. I don't know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it." He tries to convince us.

The Doctor stops and turns to face him as he says, "I'll tell you what's happening, it's volcano day and you forgot to set your alarm clock."

The siren alarms from outside, startling Rose as she asks, "What's that?"

"The all clean." Jack tells her, and the Doctor looks at him grimly as he says, "I wish." before pulling me out of the room by my hand as Rose follows us.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Doctor leads me up the stairs and leans us against the railing as we watch Rose and Jack run past us.

"Mr. Spock?" Jack calls out, and I giggle- it's just too good, making the Doctor nudge me.

"Have you got a blaster?" He calls out, and I grin down at them as they come reeling back.