Chapter 8

(TW): none

  The portal emitted a heat that was only present in one place, The Nether, a rather uninviting place. However, comparing it to the cold around it, Phil found the fire-filled dimension much more inviting than he normally would. A small sigh escaped him as he checked his map for the final time, (as if it would say he was in a completely different place than where he was standing) and slowly walked into the purple mist. The heat enveloped his body, sending a sensation of relief and satisfaction through him. He brought his wings in front of him to block out any smoke and watched as The Nether seemed to materialize before him.

  He let out another small sigh and looked to the crow on his shoulder, "are you happy now you little shit?"

  It nodded, looking rather pleased with itself, and flew into the shadows that enveloped the room they were in. Whether he was having dreams about this place or not, he can certainly say he didn't like the aura that surrounded him. Everything smelled of death, and it was unnaturally cold for him being in The Nether. He stared into the darkness, hoping to see some form of life; however, it was obvious that whatever was down here died quite a long time ago.

  "Hello?" He let out, his voice echoing off the walls slightly.

  He stood there silent for a few seconds as if waiting for a response to puncture the obvious dead silence. He was starting to believe coming here was pointless, with a final glance behind him, he turned back to the portal and started to walk into it again, resting his hand on the side of it. Just before the cold of the snow biome came beyond the purple light, however, a small voice broke the silence he didn't think could be broken.

  "⊑⟒⌰⌰⍜? (Hello)" he stopped, letting the voice register in his head for a second before turning back towards the darkness.

  He took a step forward, his hand still resting on the warm obsidian. A quiet voice in his head broke through his thoughts,

  Go...

  This is your only chance...

  He took a deep breath and released his hand from the portal, slowly walking forward towards the direction the voice came from.

  "Who's there?" he asked into the shadows, his footsteps continuing forward with caution.

    The voice in his thoughts seemed to speak again,

  Slowly now...

  We don't want to scare them...

  He slowed his pace almost instantly, he knew it was right to follow this voice, but the question of why? He couldn't answer. It was silent for a while before the small voice responded to his question.

  "⟟-⟟'⋔ ⏃⋏☌⎍⟟⌇⊑, ⟟'⋔ ⋏-⋏⍜⏁ ⊑⟒⍀⟒ ⏁⍜ ⟟⋏⏁⍀⎍⎅⟒.. (I-I'm Anguish, I'm n-not here to intrude..)" It sounded much more frightened than before, and he had only just realized they were speaking in Ender.

  Phil paused, searching his thoughts for the voice of instruction, but it never seemed to come. With great hesitation, he stepped out into the light of the soul lanterns lining the wall; he had only now realized they were there. Bringing his full attention to the boy before him was quite easy to do, seeing as he was covered in bruises and shivering. Although the fact that he was of a species he didn't recognize, only furthered the amount of attention he put onto him. He was tall, taller than any other creature his age, and his body was segmented in places his joints connected. His skin seemed to be that of a piglin, yet it was slightly darker, and the gray stone-like texture of striders covered his forearms and legs.

  The boy stared at him with very obvious fear in his eyes, whether it was because of him or whatever gave him the bruises he had, Phil couldn't be sure. He stepped forward hesitantly only to see the boy flinch, causing him to stop and retreat backward very quickly. He stood for what felt like minutes before moving again, the boy put his head in his hands and he stepped forward again, crouching down in front of him. He rubbed his temples with his thumbs, seemingly trying to ease what Phil could only assume was a migraine. He slowly and cautiously brought his hand to the boy's forehead and rested it there letting his warmth radiate towards the boy.

  "How'd you get here?" Phil questioned.

  He paused for a moment, his entire body stiffening as he shook his head and turned his gaze away from Phil. He shifted his weight on the stone floor, seemingly finding a loose stone more interesting than the man in front of him. Phil took this as a sign and sat in a criss-cross position, still lightly rubbing the boy's forehead with his thumb. The room stayed silent for what felt like hours before a loud and sharp knock echoed through the room, the child's face filled with panic and he stood up. Phil pulled his hand away and the boy grabbed it, tugging him up and pulling him towards the portal.

  "Oi, wait a sec!" He protested, pulling himself away from the boy.

  He called for his crow, which quickly flew to him in a slight panic. It cawed incoherently, flapping its wings and trying to signal to Phil that they had to leave.

  "I watched him run down this way, My Lord" a gruff voice sounded, not far from where they stood now.

  The child grabbed his arm once again, only this time Phil didn't hesitate to follow. He clutched onto his bag and ran through the portal, not having time to fully react to the cold before he blocked off the opening. He and the boy were both tense for a moment, the cold wind nipping at their skin.

  "That isn't going to hold them for long..." Phil said "C'mon."

  He let the boy climb into his back, making sure he was comfortable before he took off into the frozen air. 

  1000 words  

  I apologize for not updating this story in a while, I lost inspiration for a while. I however, am now back and am going to try and finish this story. I hope you guys like this chapter, if you have any criticism or tips about this story or my writing please let me know respectfully. It will help me write this and my other books in the future. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and that you have an amazing day/afternoon/night! 

                -The author